Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Parting with Daisy

So last Monday we adopted Daisy on behalf of the Wyoming Basset Hound Rescue Foundation. Thankfully the foundation also rescues mixed breeds and in Daisy's case, bloodhounds. 


We had Daisy for a week and we were seriously considering the possibility of adopting her as she is really a sweet girl. Unfortunately on Sunday we did discover that she is food aggressive. This is a common problem and one that can easily be addressed with training. 

Normally Eric and would just continue with training, but there are more individuals involved than just the two of us. We owe all beings under our care a safe environment. With that said Daisy did absolutely no harm to anyone, but the  reality was that we were genuinely concerned about what might happen if the girls were to drop food on the floor and try to retrieve it, would they be safe? We were pretty sure that everything would be fine, but with an 80lb dog and a 25lb kid pretty sure was not enough.

So we had to pass Daisy on to her next stop at a foster home with older kids and two other bloodhounds. I was very sad about the whole thing, mostly because I wanted to be the last chapter in her story. I want her to have a happy life. Instead we were just a few pages---which is all we had signed up to be---and I was sad to be unable to be more for her.

Ultimately I learned that fostering is a great way to help dogs find their forever homes, but I am probably not the person to foster. I grew very attached to her and felt/feel very sad to see her go, even if it is the best situation for all of us. I know she is on her way to the perfect home, perhaps she is already there as the next foster was already implying a possible adoption. I am so thankful that we got to be a part of the process and we got to meet such an amazing dog. I am also so happy to live in a world where so many people work together to ensure the safety and happiness of one animal.

2 comments:

MarieRoxanne said...

So sorry Daisy had to go, but look at it on the bright side, you gave her the best "few pages" of her life, and I am sure she appreciates every moment spent in your loving home. I honestly believe that pets remember the good times spent with people and this will be a treasured memory for her!

Stacy said...

You are such a kind and sweet hearted person. Thank you for giving her love and saving her. I hope her forever home is as awesome as yours.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...