Thursday, August 27, 2015

Positive



I have recently seen several posts and comments about how the online lives of some people are making others feel like their lives are somehow lacking. This is nothing new. I have Facebook friends who comment how depressed they are when they see only photos of smiling and happy people. I have other friends who are currently posting about the not so perfect moments of their lives. I have read countless articles about how the edited moments are presenting an unrealistic version of life.

While this may be true to some degree I think that people assume this is posturing. Posting happy photos of trips and telling funny stories from life, sharing recipes and ideas is not all about showing other people up! I cannot speak for everyone, but here is why I post those types of things on my blog, Facebook, Instagram, etc.---I am sharing the good. I am not bragging and certainly not trying to make anyone feel badly about their own lives. 

I know very few people who take photos of sad moments in their life and post them online (if they do then they are deemed as attention seekers too). Mostly these social forums are places where close friends and acquaintances are all mixed together. Nobody wants to post that they are worried about money, depressed by the news, struggling with body issues, dealing with loss, sad about the world. Those are problems that you share with the people closest to you, not in an open forum. I mean you certainly can, but many of us feel more comfortable keeping our problems to ourselves. I worry that my problems will be a burden to others with their own personal issues, they don't need mine.
 
I do not think it is an issue of honesty, but rather a way to keep focused on the positive. There is nothing wrong with sharing joys or sadnesses with the world at large, but is seems that people are often inclined to share the positive. That makes me feel happy and hopeful. When I see a happy post from a friend who has traveled to some beautiful location I don't immediately feel like my life is less than theirs, even though I long for travel. Instead I feel genuinely happy for them and excited for a season in my life when I am able to do the same.

All of this is really stemming from the news events of yesterday. I accidentally saw video footage that I did not want to see and it was horribly sad. I talked with my husband about it and then I tried to find some good news to balance out the bad. I needed a little hope that I am bringing up children in a world where the good outweighs the bad. 

I want to see your photos of the award you won, the photo of you cradling your newborn, the photo where you look awesome in your swimsuit, the photos of your weddings and vacations and all of the good in your life. I know there are hard times too, but I am so thankful that the blows of those hard times are cushioned by happy moments. I am thankful when others share their joys and I don't think there is a single thing wrong with sharing the highlights of your life.

---Drops mic and sips coffee.

5 comments:

paola_ said...

Your words are so true, thanks. There's a huge need for positive thoughts nowadays.

Mom said...

Very well said. Perfect.

affectioknit said...

...I totally agree...positive is just...better...

~Have a lovely day!

Roxanne Veinotte said...

I come to your blog for a happy reading.
I love reading about your antics, your children's antics, and the rare photos of Eric, they are uplifting, and sometimes gets me out of a funk...
Thanks for starting and keeping up this blog, although most stop blogging, you do not and I am grateful for it!

elizabeth said...

you and me both - looking for and sharing our "little" things and bits of sunshine.
(though i tend to the melancholy sometimes - it's the writer in me . . . ) but i love the happy and lovely and goofy and wonderful glimpses of life! i revel in those and am cheered by them! cheers to you, fellow joy-finder!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...