Thursday, September 17, 2015

Raising an Eccentric

I am pretty sure that most kids are fairly quirky if you take a close look. Maybe they insist on wearing a certain color or brushing their hair straight forward or absolutely refuse to eat anything that looks like it might have seeds. 

I am happy to say that Eric and I have produced some very eccentric children. I am proud of their eccentricities, not only because they are often amusing, but those are the details that make my kids uniquely themselves.

Cordelia with a coconut named Charlie.

One way that Eric and I let the girls express themselves is through their clothes. Of course we do intervene from time to time when the choices are inappropriate for the circumstances or we think they would be teased.

Elise with wand, stick horse, pajama top, backwards wig.

I was recently talking with a friend and she mentioned that all of the kids at her daughter's school look as though they have just hopped out of the pages of a fashion magazine. It is so true! So many friends post adorable photos of their kids dressed like fashionable mini-adults. Those kids are not dressing themselves for sure!

Now don't get me wrong, I love when my girls look nice and clean and well dressed. I also like when the bottoms of their feet are black from running through the garden in their underwear. Sometimes I tell them that they must dress fancy or wear play clothes or whatever---even then I let them have a say in the final decision. I want them to feel as though they have some sense of control in a world where they are endlessly being told what to do and what not to do. Of course it is necessary to guide our kids, but sometimes I fear we are over doing it and in doing so we suffocate some of their natural charms. More than anything though, I am so happy that they feel as though they have some input into how they want to present themselves to the world.




4 comments:

Roxanne Veinotte said...

Do you take them shopping and let them pick out their own clothes?

Holly said...

I love that you do this with your girls! My daughter loves to dress herself and has been doing it and coming up with some pretty interesting outfits since she was three. I remember one time her preschool teacher asked, "She really has some interesting color choices, do you pick her clothes?" I laughed and said it wasn't a battle I was going to fight, she has her own style and I'm fine with it. Her latest discovery is wearing leggings with a skirt, she is totally rocking the 80's look.

Maria Rose said...

Well, a lot of their clothes are gifts or hand me downs. The rest is a collaborative effort. I try and steer them clear of branding. I personally don't like to pay to advertise for a company, but I certainly lost that battle with Frozen and Spider-Man.

Mom said...

I have even let them help pick my clothes when shopping at thrift stores. That is kind of fun!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...