Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Currently Reading

Now that time is settling into a slightly more manageable pace I am giving myself more time for reading. I have a stack of books that I am working through and more in my Kindle. I usually have at least three books going at a given time: fact, fiction, fun. Depending on my mood I will select accordingly. I know some people greatly prefer to read one book at a time because they have difficulty separating the stories and information. My reads are so very different that there is no confusing ideas or storylines.

Currently I am enjoying a truly original read, recommended by an author friend. The book is called Cosmicomics and was written by the Italian author Italo Calvino. The book is a collection of short stories that combine science and creative writing. 


If you are looking for something a little less ordinary, but still beautifully written I highly recommend this book. Honestly this is one of those reads that can't really be put into words; it is simply an experience to be had. Do not bother with this book if you are not interested in creativity and rich visuals. Otherwise dive right into this one!

The girls are also reading a lot. I read with them every single day. Cordelia has begun reading on her own, but she really enjoys reading chapter books with Eric and I. Sometimes Elise will join in, as long as there are pictures occasionally sprinkled into the mix.

Ivy and Bean books are a bestselling series of books written by Annie Barrows that both girls really enjoy. The chapter books follow two friends who have adventures in daily life. They are funny and made just for this age group. Cordelia and Elise have really enjoyed the three books we have already read; thankfully there are a lot more for us to enjoy together.

Another read we have enjoyed is Vincent Paints his House by Tedd Arnold. The story is simply about Vincent Van Gogh painting his house, trying to choose a color. We loved that the book teaches that colors have many names (see photo) and the girls would each discuss their favorite shades, carefully repeating the words cerulean or cyan.


What are you reading?

1 comment:

elizabeth said...

hey M!

maddie loved ivy and bean so much! it's fun to see that book (series) in your mix. :)

i just picked up Pioneer Girl (the new printing of Laura Ingalls Wilder's original autobiography). i am also reading a John Muir anothology. i just finished a Mary Oliver anthology. and i also just finished Pay it Forward (the adolescent version) - i really enjoyed that!

lots and lots of good words!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...