Monday, February 29, 2016

Kindness Bandit: Animals


I know that this may [not] come as a surprise to you, but I feel very passionately about the plight of animals in our world. I lose a lot of sleep over feeling helpless, like nothing I do will ever be enough. The problems are too big. It is pretty overwhelming at times. I cannot understand why people don't care more about the suffering of others; human and animal. I suppose it is easier, less trouble, to ignore...but I can't. Sometimes I wish that I could. Instead I lie awake at night and worry...not acting, just feeling the great weight pressing upon me.

To combat this feeling of helplessness I try to focus on the little things that I can do to make the world better for a few animals at a time. Of course we have rescued animals, but my house will never be big enough to accommodate the animals I wish I could adopt. Truly I want to rescue animals and give them a forever home. I want land so I can adopt farm animals and let sterilized feral cats run free. But, that is just not my reality now and honestly it may never be so. 

So what can I do? What can you do? Adopt animals when you can! Please! Maybe though, you can't adopt now and you still want to help. 

Yesterday we went to the local shelter and paid for the adoption of a cat. He was a bit older, not a kitten, but so full of love and life. Perhaps that small gesture will push someone to make that choice and bring him into their family. The total cost to our family was a small $35.

Perhaps you cannot spare $35, but you still want to help. What about advocacy? Every Sunday I sign petitions and write letters to my state representatives bout issues they can impact. A good place to start is here: https://www.aspca.org/take-action/advocacy-center

Many times they already have a letter written and you can just read through, making sure you agree. Sign and electronically send.

You can also visit your local shelter, pet cats and walk dogs. It is so fun! You could try eating vegan one day a week (or every single day!!!) and making an impact in that way. Please try out a little Kindness Bandit for the animals this week. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...