Thursday, February 11, 2016

Why I have Nicholas Cage's Autograph

It was my senior year of high school. Eric and I were trying to raise money for a trip to Europe with a group of artists. I did a lot of odd jobs in an effort to raise money for the adventure. I scraped paint. I worked at a nursing home. Eric and I painted clouds in somebody's nursery. 

One member of our artist group suggested we all gather resources and have a little auction. Someone suggested that we all write to celebrities and ask for their autographs to auction off. Remember this was at a time where the Internet was still fresh and you couldn't just contact a celeb...you had to write a letter.

Eric and I are really into David Lynch and we started sending letters to actors and actresses who had appeared in his movie. I believe that others from our group wrote celebrities on their list as well. Anyway, we sent out a dozen or so letters asking for an autographed photo to auction off for our trip. We got only one response, from Nicholas Cage (from Wild at Heart), an autographed photo of him in front of some trees in a studio.




The problem was that not one other celebrity sent their autographs. Just Nicholas. So we couldn't really have an auction. We just had the autograph.

We didn't know what to do with the autograph as we are not really autograph people. I mean Nicholas Cage was nice enough to help out some kids, but it is just his handwriting. So we did the only logical thing and put it in a frame and hung it in the garage.

The End

1 comment:

Roxanne Veinotte said...

Did you write another letter to thank him?
At least you know who was cool with requests like that.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...