Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Currently Reading: Kids and Adult


Eric and I are currently reading Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine to the girls. They are so far very engrossed in the book; eager for each new chapter. While I have not yet read the book myself I admit to having watched the movie pre-children, on a fort night, so I know where it is going.

Anyway, what is the deal with mothers falling ill and dying in books? Seriously folks? Quit killing us off! It really upsets the kids who always end up asking if I am going to die. Then we have to have that discussion which ends with me promising to try really hard to stay alive until we are all incredibly old---too far in the future to concern sweet little girls. I assure those girls that I am doing my very best to live a long and healthy life, but should something happen that they have so many people who would love and protect them. Then we all feel a bit sad.

Ugh

Why do story tellers insist on this dead mother device? Bambi, Cinderella, Ella Enchanted. Don't even get me started on Disney! Frozen, Beauty and the Beast, Little Mermaid, Aladdin----where are the mothers?! Good gravy!

Anyway, other than yet another dead mother story the book is great. How is that for a transition? The theme of obedience versus thinking for oneself are great. I am hoping it plays out well. Have you read it?

Now for what I just read

I just finished Gone Girl byGillian Flynn. The book was recommended by a few friends. I know I am late on the scene with this book. You have probably read it already. The problem with this book, or at least the main issue, is that people kept telling me that I would loooove the
amazing twist! Perhaps it was because I knew there was a twist, but it was no surprise. I saw it coming from the beginning. I kept waiting for a more surprising twist which never came. 

With that stated, the book was well written and I powered through the entire thing in a couple of days. I have been quite busy the past few days, so reading over 400 pages in the small windows I have had tells you that it is a quick read. The book is a page turner for sure. Interestingly I found that there was not a single likeable character in the entire book. They are all terrible. Flynn also paints a pretty bleak picture of women, not just the main characters, but all of the women in the book are terrible. The men too, but with less intensity.

So would I recommend this book? I don't know, probably not. Nothing against Flynn, who is good at what she does, I just think this probably wasn't the genre for me.

What are you reading? What should I read next?

1 comment:

Roxanne Veinotte said...

Fiona, Shrek's wife has her mom throughout the movies. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...