Saturday, April 9, 2016

Yoga

Since the beginning of the year I have committed to doing yoga five days a week with two days of rest. I have a minimum of thirty minutes I must hit, but usually it goes between 30-60 minutes, depending on the level of chaos in our home.

Generally I set up the girls with an activity to occupy their time (coloring, playdough, ponies, work, etc.). Next I roll out my mat and either I follow an online lesson or do a vinyasa flow on my own. It is challenging. Most days I am sore at the end of the day, but it is good! I have been pushing myself to grow. 

The physical changes I am noticing are really exciting. I have seen measurable growth in poses and that is really rewarding. More than that though, I am learning to look for peace in the chaos of daily life. 


Like I said, most days I try to find a quiet moment to myself, but often that doesn't happen. I have to smooth out disagreements between sisters. I may have to open a bottle from down dog (which takes balance and upper arm strength, let me tell you).

Sometimes they join me. Sometimes they lay on the floor next to my mat and talk and talk and talk. Sometimes there are cats and dogs and phone calls interrupting me. Initially I found this extremely annoying. Seriously I don't think I can go more than 15 minutes on a good day without someone asking me to do something for them. 



Now I am more accepting that this season of my life is full of noise and chaos and collisions. My needs will be met, but not always in a quiet and peaceful manner. I am learning that this is OK. 


Sure, it can be frustrating some days, but I am trying and growth is happening in more ways than I had anticipated. Plus, who can complain when their distractions are so sweet?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...