Thursday, May 5, 2016

Introvert/Extrovert

I try not to pigeonhole my girls. I don't want to put them into specific categories, particularly at such young ages. I mean their lives can unfold on any number of paths and I do believe that they are in charge of the person they are and will someday be. I try not to say things that will set them on a particular path, but it is difficult to avoid inadvertently saying something off the cuff. For instance, when Elise doesn't want to greet the random person at the store who comes up to her she will hide her head in my shoulder or step behind me. I will offer up a socially acceptable defense and say something like, "She is just feeling shy." She may be feeling shy, but who knows? A stranger came up to her, she has the right to be wary or whatever. I should not offer an explanation. I don't want her to think she is or is not shy because of something that I have said. The mouths of mothers are so powerful.

With that said I feel comfortable saying that, for now at least, my daughters seem to have distinctive differences in the introvert/extrovert categories. This is very different from shy or outgoing. Introverts simply get their energy from a little time to themselves. Extroverts are energized by being around others. Of course there is a broad spectrum here and some are right in the middle. 

It is safe today that my husband is introverted and that I am extroverted. This balance works really well for us! We seem to have each passed our disposition down to a child. 

This was exemplified yesterday after visiting the Ucross ranchhouse and then hiking around for a bit. Cordelia was eager to explore and meet the other people around the compound. Elise told me that she just needed to relax for a bit before going back out. 

So Elise recharged her batteries for a bit.

Cordelia laid in the grass out front, waiting to be discovered.

Eventually Cordelia coaxed Elise outside to play with the promise that they would soon snuggle.

I couldn't help but laugh at their differences. I do hope this helps them both to grow and challenge each other as they move through life.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...