Saturday, June 25, 2016

Cake

Several months ago my dear friend approached me and asked if I knew of any bakers in town who could make a vegan wedding cake. I laughed. Wyoming is not exactly a vegan hot spot. I suggested that we make a cake together. I am not sure what I was thinking...brides do not have time for cake making.

I think you can see where this is going. I made the cake by myself. I have been casually baking for about 7 years, but I am not a serious baker by anyone's stretch of the imagination. I can make a solid vanilla cake though and I have the ability to make something look pretty. So I figured I would take on the project and figure out the rest along the way.

Talking with my friend it was clear that she wanted simple elegance. Perfectly within my wheelhouse. Then I started doing the math and realized that for the number of guests expected that I would need a lot of cake. We settled on one four layer cake and three two layer cakes. I made two extra rounds in case there was an accident or something (there was no need).

I started baking cake rounds on Thursday and worked until about an hour before it was time to start set up on Friday. Twelve cakes in all. I found the perfect bake time and had the whole process down to a dance. It felt so great to realize that I was helping, in a small way, to contribute to a very special memory. I wanted my friends to enjoy their day and have no worries about the small area that I was managing.



I did it. I made cakes. I didn't drop them. People ate and enjoyed. A small act, but one I was so happy to contribute. 


3 comments:

elizabeth said...

nice work, lady! these are so pretty!

Susan said...

You did such a wonderful job and made it so elegantly beautiful! I am proud of you!

Unknown said...

Wow, beautiful!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...