Monday, June 13, 2016

Hope




The news was pretty bad this weekend. Honestly it is so easy to feel jaded or helpless or simply overwhelmed by everything terrible that happened this weekend or this month or this year. Sometimes I panic and think about my daughters. I worry about the world that I have brought them into. I worry that they have to feel afraid of so many things: murders, racists, rapists, bigots, extremists, etc. 

This weekend a friend posted a photo of her fist clutching keys in the way that most women know, keys pointed out defensively, ready. I know that feeling. I have done that many times when heading to the car after a late work shift or a night class or whatever. I know my girls will learn that too. 

It is times like these that I must remind myself that the world will never be perfect, but it can be better. The only way that it will be better is by raising people with loving and compassionate hearts. Of course that is a hard pill to swallow when I think about the world I am sending my children into, but I am filled with great hope when I see how many people are like me. There are many people will not stand for hate. 

So now I am faced with the question of what can I do? How can I make things better? I am tucked away in my small corner of the world with no big power to make world changes, but I can do something and I am not helpless as I watch and read about this violence. I am going to be kind and I am going to love. I am going to give my girls a happy childhood and protect their innocence as long as I am able. I will send them out into the world someday and they too will be kind and loving people---they already are! I know you will do the same. 

The world is a beautiful and amazing place filled with kind people. I am reminding myself today that the horrors inflicted by one are beautifully contrasted by the outpouring of love and compassion from countless many that inevitably follows.

1 comment:

Daphne said...

I keep reminding myself the same! <3 Keep raising those sweet girls right and they'll continue the good fight in their time.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...