Monday, September 26, 2016

First Tooth

In case my post yesterday did not clue you in, Cordelia has lost her first tooth. She will be seven in a few days so she is definitely late to the toothless business. She has long wondered when it would be her time as friends all lost their teeth and her tiny chompers were still firmly placed in her sweet face.

Honestly though, her tooth has been loose for sooooo long. Beyond showing her how to wiggle it and giving her a few pro tips (twist that thang) I refused to do it for her. My mother did the same for her kids saying, "I pulled my teeth. You pull yours." Now I am not weirded out by tooth pulling, though I have discovered through conversation about this that many people are really uncomfortable with tooth loss. Anyway, Eric and I both left it to Cordelia and she can be agonizingly patient about stuff. She is the kind of person who can eat an entire lollipop and never bite into it. I, on the other hand, have never been able to even let a chocolate chip melt in my mouth...I gotta chomp. 

Her patience about this tooth has been mind boggling. Months it has gone on and on with no resolution. She has been able to suck the tooth back and forth with air, too much info for you tooth-phobic folks?



Yesterday her body finally rejected the tooth. We were in church and she was coloring when the tooth fell from her face. She shouted, "Mom I lost my tooth!" I did not believe her at first as she has been tricking me with that for a few months. This time it was true and there she was holding a tiny tooth in her tiny hand with a look of crazed elation on her face.

I remember our excitement when that tiny tooth first pushed through her gummy baby grin. We were so happy for our little baby, but even then I wondered about the girl she would be when that tooth fell out. Perhaps that sort of thinking should be called pre-nostalgia. And now here we are, Cordelia with one less tooth in her face and me with a baby tooth in an envelope in my dresser. 

She asked to pretend the tooth fairy is real. So we pretended with her. We did a card and money. She wanted to share her cash with her fully toothed sister. 



So one tooth down and I have no idea how many more to go.

2 comments:

affectioknit said...

So sweet...we did the pretend the tooth fairy is real...and we made ours a guy tooth fairy too...

~Have a lovely day!

RunwithSticks said...

Aidan is still waiting at 6 years and 7 months and none are wiggling :) I will tell him Cordelia lost hers right before her 7th birthday!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...