Saturday, September 17, 2016

Goodbye Delore

Eric with his grandfather

Almost two weeks ago Eric's grandfather Delore passed away. He was 99 1/2. He passed peacefully with family at his side, it was probably the gentlest way to leave this world. Yet still he is gone.

 I first met Delore when I was 16, he stopped by Eric's house on his way to a senior dance. He was quite a charmer with a twinkle in his eye and an easy smile.  He was special. Really special. He lived a pretty spectacular life. He survived months alone trapped at a station in the arctic, given up for lost by the military. He later built three houses, telescopes, he danced, he played banjos. He was always working to better himself. Even last summer one of Eric's cousins shared a video of him doing push-ups...at 99! He liked to dance daily. He was always making and thinking and doing. I have always held a very special place in my heart for this man who had such a profound and positive influence on my husband. He was so very bright and so very kind.

Today he was laid to rest and I felt as though I wanted to say something about this man. He is missed.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...