Saturday, January 28, 2017

Poetry Judge?

I teach all kinds of classes. One of my favorite classes is the high school art class I teach at the local museum. I teach for about 6 months out of  the year and I really get to know these students. That means that sometimes I am asked to do things that are a bit outside of my wheelhouse. Case in point, I was pulled into judging at the statewide high school debate competition. I was asked to judge poetry. 

I didn't know what to expect, but when I arrived there were hundreds and hundreds of teenagers dressed in business attire. Somehow through the sea of teens (I was seriously like a foot taller than everyone) I found my way to a science classroom. I was given an envelope with judging criteria and was joined by six girls who gave dramatic poetry readings. It was a great experience. They chose poems about love, racism, and violence in the schools. It was strange to see what their choices are...kinda sad too.

I judged them, which was kind of a bummer, but I did it. Then I hit the road, but not before spotting this sign.

 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...