Later in life I gained exposure to more people from a variety of cultures from the Nepalese family across the hall in Denver, to the ranch family in Wyoming. All of these people have rituals and shared histories that they received from their elders and are passing along to their children. I love that these histories and traditions are ever changing and evolving, yet also fixed.
I yearn to feel a part of something. It has always felt a bit like I am on the outside looking in on other people’s worlds. Do you feel that way?
I would hang on to the tiniest scraps of heritage. For instance my family is partially Norwegian. So I embraced lefse and the unique spelling of my name, but I am in no way connected to Norway and if I go there I will just be an American.
It is ok to be American, but our very nature is that we are a united mixed bag. Honestly there is nothing cohesive about being an American now.
So, I got to thinking about the origins of tradition/culture/heritage. Perhaps I am the seed taking root and not the branches of tree. It is a bit lonely, but also exciting to think that something can grow from that desire.
1 comment:
Hi Maria,
...I definitely identify as an American...in general...and I'm such a 'mutt' as far as ancestry goes...we have researched both sides of my family...and both came here via England...so no real definable 'culture' difference there either...I grew up in the mountains of NC so there's a bit of Appalachian heritage...and I can remember being so enchanted with the 'culture' of North Dakota...one church we visited even asked us if we were Norwegian or Swedish...like those were the only two options...haha...just embrace your unique-ness...
~Have a lovely day!
Post a Comment