Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Thanksgiving

OK, so its Thanksgiving. I am a vegan and an historian. The traditional holiday is really weird to me. I think this probably happens to most people and we are required to reconcile our beliefs with tradition. Certainly the vegan aspect goes without saying. I don't think anybody is dim enough to celebrate the colonial origin of Thanksgiving.


So, the holiday has found new meaning food and family. I have been seeing a lot of articles written about how to cope with family as though it is some horrible imposition to try and make memories and strengthen bonds with your family and friends. Here is what I say, it takes two to tango. Sure we all know how to push each other's buttons, but we also know what makes our family worth celebrating. Don't focus on the bad and don't get your panties in a twist. We are all weird and creepy in our own special way.


I have decided to write out a few things that I am thankful for. Please enjoy and feel free to contribute.


-I am thankful that my dear friends the Copelands taught me to be here now! These two people have seen me grow from a rebellious adolescent (think green ballgowns, red hair, and Adidas shoes) into whatever it is that I have become. They have never stopped encouraging me or anyone else lucky enough to fall in their path. They have had more impact on my life and my than anyone beyond my husband and my family. I think that everyone deserves to have people like this in their life.


- I am thankful to have a giant family full of wonderful weirdo's. Yes, my family is a giant bag of mixed nuts. They can turn a game of Pit (look into it) into a crazy free-for-all that leaves everyone feeling a bit shocked by their behavior when it is all said and done. I am talking parents, brothers, cousins, grandmothers, aunts, uncles, etc. These people are truly bizarre and I couldn't be more happy to be one of them.


-I am so thankful to have a wonderful husband. What can I say about Eric? He is just a miracle in my life. I have known him since he was a fourteen-year-old goth and I couldn't be more thankful to have met him at such a young age.


-I am thankful for Coco.


-I often feel sorry for myself about how many times I have moved in my life, but without all of these moves I would never have had the opportunity to make some truly amazing friendships.


-I am thankful that I have made a stand for my beliefs and have gone vegan. Being vegan has brought me some of my darkest and brightest moments, I am thankful for both.




2 comments:

E.K. said...

Ooh, that was sweet. We are all thankful for you.

Unknown said...

I'm thankful that you're from New Mexico. Have you looked into making vegan chile rellenos as a meal yet?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...