For some reason people ponder the meaning of life. I have never really been particularly interested in that vein of thought. I have always known the meaning of life. No, I don't have some profound wisdom. You have probably had someone tell you the meaning of life before; either you accept it or you don't.
If I have lost you, then I will not keep you in the dark any longer. You are alive for the sole purpose of living, that is it. You are alive to live. Now, don't be a loser and question that with something boring like," What is it to live?" Yawn festival. Don't get me wrong, I am not talking about hopping into your jeep and going extreme para sailing, I think that living is up to each person.
I was thinking about this when I saw this tiny tree growing its little heart out. The tree doesn't really stand a chance; it's on a second story overhang. The tree doesn't know/ care/ question. I am not trying to give Biblical advice, but just an observation. I am living and that is super for now!
3 comments:
I would argue that the meaning of life is to dance, but only if I was a dancer.
Hi. I found your blog because I found your husband's blog because I read Sarah Kramer's blog. How's that for a vegan blog chain? I'm a vegan gal named Jane in California.
Anyways, I felt compelled to comment on this post because I'm with you on that train of thought about the meaning of life and it was refreshing to see someone else feeling that way. It's a much more care-free philosophy than some people can handle..I think people pressure themselves too much to make life mean something. But why?
Have you read The Martian Chronicles? because there is a definite theme in a couple of those stories that speak on this very subject. It makes me happy.
Oh my, sorry for the rambling comment! Hope you have a good day!
I just picked up this book today, To Have or To Be? by Erich Fromm, and in the first chapter there are these lines from Tennyson that reminded me so much of your post today:
Flower in a crannied wall,
I pluck you out of the crannies,
I hold you here, root and all, in my hand,
Little flower--but if I could understand
What you are, root and all, and all in all,
I should know what God and man is.
And then there's this haiku by Basho:
When I look carefully
I see the nazuna blooming
By the hedge!
I haven't read the analysis of the two yet (I had to stop and comment on your blog immediately because the Tennyson poem reminded me of your photo!!), but I think the difference is that one poet picks the flower to understand it, thus killing it, while the other admires his flower unobtrusively. And we sort of do the same with life, maybe -- examine it too much, and in the process stifle it...
Post a Comment