Wednesday, February 6, 2008

So Bad it's Good


We all have a terrible and awkward skeleton in our pre-teen closet. I am sharing mine because it is so terrible that it is actually wonderful.

While in elementary school I fancied myself to be an actress. I had roles in the school plays including a starring role as Mrs. Santa Claus. When I auditioned for the Missoula Children's Theater play of Jack and the Beanstalk I was hoping to grab the coveted role of the beautiful dancing harp. I ended up as the giant.

Now, you may have it in your mind that I went to an all girls school or that there were no boys to audition. You would be wrong. All of the boys in my class auditioned. I was told that the costume fit me best, but there were other boys my height and the suit was not exactly tailor made.

I accepted the role and I think I may have even been happy for a lead role with solo, oh yes this was a musical. I guess it never occurred to me what would happen. I will spare you the details, but there was indeed some mockery. I think that the best part of this tale is that it was video taped. Yes, there is footage of me singing and stomping around the stage with a painted on 5 o'clock shadow. The event was highlighted when Karena, who got the role as the dancing harp, literally danced circles around me.

Now, this isn't a pity party tale. I really love that I have one of the most awkward moments captured in such detail. I will forever be the 6th grade girl who was a giant with a 5 o'clock shadow and it is awesome!

1 comment:

E.K. said...

The video really is a masterpiece. They didn't cast because of height, they cast you because you nailed that roll. You brought something to that giant that had never been seen before, a sort of... je ne sais quoi.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...