Friday, December 12, 2008

Looking at things differently


The other day I was at a relatively important meeting. The type of meeting and reason for the meeting is completely irrelevant so I will spare you the details. I will let you know that I work in the non-profit sector as I think that is of some use. Anyway during this meeting various organizations were talking about need and how much need there is. Obviously this is not exactly new information, but it got me wondering about my needs and if there is anything that I currently need.

First I thought about things that I want (to move to Missoula, another dog, to own a home), but then I reminded myself that those are in no way needs. I thought long and hard about what I need, certainly I must need something. The truth is that I don't need anything at this point in my life. Now, it seems like that shouldn't be such a revelation, but for some reason it really was.

What do I need in order to live a need free life:
  • Food, water, shelter. (check, check, and check)
  • Healthy relationships (check)
  • Creative output. I really do need this for my mental health. (check)
I was really happy to see that my list was quite short. I don't have any particular problems (health, emotional, etc.) that give me cause to need for anything more.
What do you actually need?

8 comments:

E.K. said...

A smokin' hot wife! (check)

Anonymous said...

Rats... I thought I was going to get some ideas for what you need for Christmas. Mom

Emily said...

I was going to add laughter. But I think that falls under healthy relationships. Coffee??? Oh, probably not. I'm with you-- I think I have everything I really need too. Thanks for reminding me. =)

RunwithSticks said...

Great food for thought. Your hubby makes me laugh. Ok, here would be my list:

Food, shelter, a secure job that financially can take care of my growing family, a creative outlet, exercise (it keeps me sane *I could easily do this though if I didn't have the means to have running shoes etc. Just a reminder that I do NEED to get out there). A support network (family or friends) and hugs, alot of hugs... and laughter.

Anonymous said...

LOL! You're Mom is cool ;-). I think I would put "time to myself and time alone with my spouse" as critical need #3. I didn't know it until I spent 2 long years without it. Happy moon grazing!!

Elizabeth said...

please fix my spelling on smokin' hot. i just read my comment and realized i typed somkin' - very silly looking. :o)

Anonymous said...

You have a great husband! :)

This is a subject I've found myself thinking (and ranting) about for the past six months. We so often confuse what we "want" with what we "need".

Good list.

elisa said...

Hmm...really made me stop and think. I totally agree with food, shelter, water and the healthy family. After that? Good friends and a moment to myself. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...