Friday, May 28, 2010

The Girl Who Loved Worms

When I was a young girl, age 4. I was living in the greater Seattle area. Truthfully I was living there with my parents, it's not like I was out there on my own, making my mark on the world. Anyway, it's right around that age that my memory really solidifies. I have many bits of memories before that phase, but right around 4 is when it all came into clear focus for me.

I remember riding a rocking horse during a storm and watching the flashes of light make bold shadows on the wall of my bedroom. I remember the way that my pink tutu felt (like heaven if you must know). I remember when my baby brother Ben came home from the hospital and I loved him so much. I actually recall making my friends wash their hands before they could even look at him. I remember going to the bathroom outside, like a boy...not my most successful venture. I remember eating cat food. I remember my imaginary friends. I remember the hills in Seattle. Then I remember the worms...

I loved worms, still do. I had a family of worms that I would play with. Certainly they weren't always the same worms, but in my 4 year old brain they were. I'm not really sure what it was that I loved about them, but I did. Later I had a worm farm in an aquarium.

Since my early friendships with these invertebrates I have held them in high esteem. When it rains outside I know that they can't resist themselves and the worms emerge from the soil. Since they don't have brains we cannot really expect them to have enough sense to know when to return to the earth. My heart hurts when I see them struggling about on the warm cement. So, it's become my duty to rescue these blind little slimy fellows. A walk after the rain can turn from a 20 minute stroll into a search and rescue operation. I love 'em.

The other day when I mentioned that Eric had spent time rescuing these little guys I told you it was an act of love. Yes, he hates to see anything suffer, but also he know how much I love worms.

Wow, I've written a remarkable amount about worms. I promise never to do it again...unless you really want me to.
worm

PS If this is your 1st time visiting my blog...I'm sorry.

3 comments:

Emily said...

You have got to go to the library and check out the children's book "Diary of a Worm" by Doreen Cronin. It is so cute and pretty funny too! :)

affectioknit said...

I love the Diary of a Worm too - and we always rescue worms - I grew up out in the country and was pavement deprived - so not a lot of worm saving then - but we save 'em now - Scout and I - and hope that they don't crawl back out onto the pavement after we put them back in the grass...

Stacy said...

I love this entry!! You're the Worm Whisperer!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...