I have tried to make my own ketchup, but I have been underwhelmed by the recipes I have found. I suppose I should just work on developing my own. I do, however, like to make my own spaghetti sauce. I like to tweak the recipe according to the ingredients that I happen to have laying about. So I never really make the same sauce twice, but I thought I'd share a general version of my sauce.
- 1 12oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 28oz. can crushed fire roasted tomatoes
- 1/4 c. finely diced onion
- 2+ cloves crushed garlic
- 1/2-3/4 c. roughly chopped mixed olives
- 1/2 c. roughly chopped mushrooms (button or baby bella---or whatever)
- 1/4 c. chopped fresh oregano
- 1/4 c. chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes, more if you like
- salt and pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients in a sauce pot and simmer for 30 minutes. Simple and effective.