Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Vegan Recipe: Sauce is the Boss

I am totally crazy about tomato products. Seriously, I creep people out with my ability to eat any and all tomato products. I can pretty much drink ketchup. Oddly I don't like eating raw tomatoes, unless they are accompanied by other ingredients---in a salad or sandwich is great, but a bite of a whole tomato, no thank you.

I have tried to make my own ketchup, but I have been underwhelmed by the recipes I have found. I suppose I should just work on developing my own. I do, however, like to make my own spaghetti sauce. I like to tweak the recipe according to the ingredients that I happen to have laying about. So I never really make the same sauce twice, but I thought I'd share a general version of my sauce.

sauce is the boss
  • 1 12oz. can tomato sauce
  • 1 28oz. can crushed fire roasted tomatoes
  • 1/4 c. finely diced onion
  • 2+ cloves crushed garlic
  • 1/2-3/4 c. roughly chopped mixed olives
  • 1/2 c. roughly chopped mushrooms (button or baby bella---or whatever)
  • 1/4 c. chopped fresh oregano
  • 1/4 c. chopped fresh basil
  • 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes, more if you like
  • salt and pepper to taste
***Optional---add 1/2 c. of any chopped fresh veggies that sound good to you.

Directions
Combine all ingredients in a sauce pot and simmer for 30 minutes. Simple and effective.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

affectioknit said...

YUM! I love olives in spaghetti...the boys...not so much...

~Have a lovely day!

Roxanne said...

I do that too... I can never make the same recipe twice the same way. I ....must....tweak.... it!

Kirstens Kitchen said...

It is hard to make the same sauce twice. I like olives in spaghetti too!

Heather McCann said...

This sounds good! I'd like to stuff a tomato with this and grill it...or bell pepper...MMMM!

AKM said...

I am a HUGE FAN of olives, so of course I am very pleased that you include them in your sauce. ;-)

And I'm with you on tomatoes. ANYTHING tomato. And I love fresh raw ones. Last night I had the first homegrown ones of the season...rough chopped, with also-rough chopped green pepper, capers, jalapenos, and Italian dressing. Kind of an Israeli salad-ish thing. I was in heaven. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...