I was recently out with my neighbor when I spotted my first robin sitting atop a branch on the cottonwood that lives in our front yard. I gasped (yeah, it was a gasp, what about it?) and pointed it out to the neighbor. He was polite about it, like, "Uh, yep there it is." I knew that perhaps we were not kindred spirits as he clearly did not understand what a robin signifies. I felt a little sheepish for expressing joy like a freshman drama major (you know I love you thespians) and changed the subject as I kept an eye on that robin with the bright eyes winking at me from the tree.
Since then we have seen many a robin hanging around the house and yard. Yesterday Cordelia and I watched a robin hop onto our wheelbarrow and help itself to a drink of fresh rainwater that had collected there.



4 comments:
I understand you completely, and agree, the first robin of spring is gasp-worthy! They are the symbol of hope, that winter really is coming to an end, and the deliciousness of long summer days is not far off.
Robins always remind me of a song my mother sang. Do you know the melody?
There came to my window one morning in spring
A sweet little robin,she came there to sing
The tune that she sang, it was prettier by far
Than any I heard on the flute or guitar
2nd verse -
Her wings she was spreading to soar far away
Then resting a moment,seemed sweetly to say
"Oh happy, how happy the world seems to be
Awake, dearest child, and be happy with me.”
I have never heard that. Thanks for sharing
What wonderful photos!
Post a Comment