Friday, July 12, 2013

Parade Day

I almost forgot that this week we also had PARADE DAY! Last year parade day fell on the 10th, when Elise was born. I remember sitting in my hospital bed and listening to the sounds of the parade sirens shortly after she was born. I thought that labor was probably preferable to the parade. I kid, the parade is awesome-ish.

 Parade Day 2013

Our town doesn't have normal parades on several different occasions. Instead the community (maybe it is statewide I don't know) has one monster 2 hour parade in July. You know when it is so hot your skin actually melts away from your body. The parade features all that you would expect from small town Wyoming. There are plenty of cow folk, tractors, animals, rodeo queens (boo to the rodeo, booooooo), dance troops, marching bands, old cars, tiny cars, etc. Also, not sure why, but I saw more bum cracks than you can shake a stick at. Can we, as a society, pull up our pants? I don't think that makes me sound old as I am speaking mostly to women in their 40s.

Parade Day 2013

Parade Day 2013

Parade Day 2013

Parade Day is a big deal here. Businesses close. People coat the streets. They set up shop in the pre-dawn hours some bring chairs and personal fans. Other people bring grills. For real! I think mostly those are the natives, they've been doing this for their entire lives and they know how to do it right. Some groups brought shade tents. It's bananas!

Parade Day 2013

Untitled

Anyway, we took the girls. We were less than prepared. I made a mad dash to the store for sunscreen at the last minute, forgetting water, hats, shades, etc. When we arrived the place was overflowing with people. There was a guy on a bull horn. I do not think he had any involvement with the parade, just wanted to be heard.

Parade Day 2013

Parade Day 2013

IMG_6853

Parade Day 2013

Cordelia wondered if they might let her lead the parade and had insisted on dressing up. Elise just wanted to play with water bottles. One of our girls had her dreams come true...it was Elise. We only made it an hour before the heat forced us to the relative comfort of our air conditioned car, but it was more than enough parade to get us through until next year.

Parade Day 2013

Parade Day 2013

Parade Day 2013

Parade Day 2013

Don't worry, we spotted newscasters from both the local ABC and NBC stations. NBC wore white t-shirts and shot water into the crowd. ABC dressed like it was an 80s jazzersize video (point for ABC).

Parade Day 2013
Here is team NBC

Parade Day 2013
Here is ABC

I think the winner is clear.

4 comments:

Marie Roxanne said...

Looks like a lot of fun. When my mom goes to Florida every year, she has a list of things to bring, maybe you could do that for the parade next year so you won't forget sunscreen and sunglasses... Although a picture is a thousand times better without the sungoogles on...

Sarah Purdy said...

Wow wow wow. I'm impressed that you guys made it that long. 6 yrs in Casper and I've never been to the parade. For some reason (hello, July) it's always like 1 million degrees outside and the thought of standing there, in the sun and the heat and the crowds, just sounds like I've arrived in Hades. Also, it should be noted that two of those summer Parade days I did have a newborn. Still. Hades. Great shots! Love the Jazzercizers and the sweet 'stache!

Emily said...

I like the dude with a Viking hat on. He looks super pumped to be there!

Stacy said...

Funny, as I started reading this post I thought "I wonder if there were newscasters there." And then those glorious newscaster photos appeared and my question was answered!! Looks like fun!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...