Monday, November 25, 2013

Vegan Recipe: Crisped Rice Treats

 Cordelia's school is pretty great with her vegan diet. They let me know in advance if they will be preparing or serving anything non-vegan. This allows me to show up to school with a vegan version for her, and anyone else who may be interested. Today is Feast Day at the school and the teachers will be serving chicken nuggets, rice krispie treats, pumpkin muffins, carrots, mixed fruit. I know this because they sent home a note last week.

So yesterday I made pumpkin muffins. I bought some vegan chick nuggets. I made some crsiped rice treats. I know what you're thinking, "Gee she must have nothing better to do." Trust me I was so busy yesterday. I had church and work and a dinner to attend, but I just made it a priority to squeeze in time for the making of her meal. I don't want her to feel left out. I want her to know how strongly her mother feels about the importance of veganism.

The end result is that we had some great and light discussion about our vegan diet and now she is enjoying her Feast Day and won't stick out as the girl who is different.

Vegan crisped rice treat
So I am calling these vegan crsiped rice treats as I don't really want to go to a specific brand name here, but I think you get the idea. Honestly my recipe is a straight across vegan version of the original, non-vegan, recipe.

You will need
6 cups of crisped rice cereal (choose your own brand)
3 Tbs vegan margarine
10oz (1 package) Dandies vegan marshmallows, click here for link
1 oiled casserole dish

1. Melt the margarine and vegan marshmallows in a large pot over medium heat. Watch it so stuff doesn't scorch.
2. Add the rice and remove from heat, stirring until coated.
3. Press into your pan and let cool completely.
* You can easily dress this up by pouring melted chocolate over top or adding other treats to the marshmallow mix.

4 comments:

Sarah Purdy said...

What a cool mom! Did the kids pick the menu? It's a little random. Glad they gave you some advanced notice!

Marie Roxanne said...

Sounds good! But the vegan marshmallows here are so expensive. About $6.00 for a small pack. I haven't had a rice krispie square for 2 years now and this is making me want some... LOL

Mom said...

You are such a good Mom!

Anonymous said...

Dear friends, Brahmakumaris are vegetarian... and emphasize the importance of keeping thoughts pure... when preparing food... they either enhance or

decrease the vibes of what we eat...thus affecting our health... vegetarian lifestyle is also more conducive to achieving total peace of mind.
There is Brahmakumaris meditation...that relaxes the mind...nurtures a healthy balance between inner and outer worlds...recharge... rejuvenate the inner-self... From Gita

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...