Monday, December 23, 2013

We Totally Don't Do Santa....

So I was not raised to believe that Santa was/is a real person. My parents did not want to lie to me (if you let your kids believe in Santa I am not your judge, so don't have hurt feelings) and Eric and I are raising our girls in the same manner. That doesn't mean that we carefully hover over our girls and make ourselves into human shields when Santa pops up. We DO NOT think Santa is an anagram for Satan. We don't want to suck the fun out of the holidays, but we also don't want to direct the focus away from the holiday. Instead we just talk about Santa, if he even comes up, as a pretend thing like unicorns (although I am still not entirely sold that those are imaginary) and Cordelia knows that the world likes to imagine Santa around the holidays. She also is very aware of the real meaning of Christmas and why we celebrate.

Santa

With that said, Cordelia's preschool apparently got into it this year. She had a photo taken with Santa (who Cordelia outed as Teacher Tanya's husband) and wrote Santa the weirdest wish list ever. Here, let me show you...

Santa

In case you cannot read the list it reads:

Dear Santa,

I want a ball because I only have two. I want a friend for mama because she only has six. I want a friend for myself because I only have a little.

Love, 
Cordelia

I have no idea about anything on this list, total nonsense. When I asked her about it she burst out laughing. Whatever kid, whatever.

5 comments:

Kate said...

We're an extremely secular home (heathens the lot of us) and we're not entirely comfortable with Santa either. Our kids believe, which we love, (we're big into the magic of childhood), but he's definitely not the entirety or even the central figure of our holiday either. Loved the note, Cordelia!

AKM said...

Hey, we can't have too many friends, right? Can't hurt to ask for more. Happy Christmas to you and yours, my Wyoming friends.

Mom said...

I burst out laughing just reading it! Gotta love that kid!

affectioknit said...

It is a sweet note...we celebrate the real St. Nicholas on the 6th...but Scout has always known that Mom and Dad were Santa...

Wishing you and your family a Blessed and Merry Christmas!

~Have a lovely day!

Court Dan said...

We tell our kids the stories of the real St. Nick and this year my husband had been doing more acting bits and he dressed up as a vintage Santa and told the kids stories of how some of the Christmas traditions came to be. Truth always seems to play so much better I think. But we also encourage our kids to be kind to others traditions.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...