Monday, February 10, 2014

Old Friend

 Lanie and I

I made a friend in 5th grade, Mrs. Brummond's class. Her name was Lanie and I was fairly certain that she would become president. I still am pretty sure it will happen. She was/is smart, fearless, and a great leader. We were fast friends in small town Montana.  I liked her from the get-go. She did things her own way and I always appreciate that quality in a person.

I remember sleep overs at her place were always the best!! Her father would take us out on their land and let us play in the moonlight, such a fantastic new way to look at the world.

When I moved away at age 14 we kept in touch, off and on, over the course of time. Now, not quite 20 years later, we finally got to see each other again. She contacted me a little over a week ago and we made plans to meet up for lunch.

On the drive over I wasn't sure how it would go. I mean, would we connect? Would we be different? Would I even recognize her?

I walked into the restaurant and it was instant, there she was. She exclaimed, "You look exactly the same!" I thought the same as her. Of course we caught up on the last almost twenty years (really?!?!?!), but it was kind of like we hadn't missed a beat. She was still soft spoken, but so funny and quirky. I felt as though I could just be my normal dorky self and it was good. Two hours passed in the blink of an eye, then I had to go. We made promises to meet up again soon, should be easy to keep those promises as we live close to each other once again.

I love that I live in a world where I can find and reconnect with old and dear friends!

3 comments:

Mom said...

I'm so glad you got to reconnect with Lanie.

Sarah Purdy said...

How cool is that!? Glad you two were able to reconnect.

Victoria said...

So cool! I love it too. Michael just connected with a friend from his days in Germany who has been actively looking for him for 48 years!!Gotta love social media for that!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...