Tuesday, June 24, 2014

New Mexico Volume 2

The next morning we were in no rush as we didn't have anywhere to be until 7pm (sharp!). We decided to take our time and do a little more exploring of Santa Fe. We stopped by the Georgia O'Keeffe Museum and wandered the streets a bit.

New Mexico Vacation 2014



New Mexico Vacation 2014
We gave the girls the opportunity to blow off a little steam at the children's museum.

New Mexico Vacation 2014

New Mexico Vacation 2014

New Mexico Vacation 2014

New Mexico Vacation 2014

New Mexico Vacation 2014

New Mexico Vacation 2014

We grabbed lunch from the buffet at Whole Foods and nearly ate them out of fresh produce. Seriously you guys, eating fresh fruits and veggies on a road trip could make me weep for joy. Even Cordelia was happy to eat peas and corn without whining.

 Then we hit the road, headed toward the small town of Portales. The community of Portales is noteworthy for two reasons 1) Eric and I started our undergrad degrees there 2) Anne and Andy have called that home for many years (if you follow my blog you know that Andy and Anne are/were spending a year in Mexico) and were there for a visit.

On our way we stopped in Santa Rosa, a small pass-through (sorry, but it is true) town. Randomly Eric ran into his brother-in-law and one of our nephews at a gas station! They live hours and hours away, but were on their way to Kansas and it was just a happy accident that we all met up for a few moments.
New Mexico Vacation 2014
Elise was waaay overdue for a nap as evidenced by this photo.

We only had a few minutes to catch up before we took on the final leg of our journey. We were headed for a legendary surprise. We drove our way down the still familiar roads as a storm was on our tail. We eyed the storm nervously because the surprise involved an outdoor venue and by the look of the storm it was a big one.

When we made it to Portales and checked into our hotel the storm was upon us, it hit hard and the streets were flooded almost instantly, this is a pretty common occurrence in NM during the monsoon season. Andy Mason, whom I have mentioned here too many times to count, called us to redirect us. We were to meet at an indoor location at 7pm sharp. We were not to tell Anne, his lady love of seven years, that we were in town.

We readied ourselves and ran to the car to avoid the rain. When we arrived at the new location we went inside and took a seat among Anne and Andy's friends and family and waited, everyone was sooooo excited. There were whispers and giggles and reunions of people who hadn't seen each other in ages.

Finally Anne entered. She had been told she was attending some sort of dress up party so she was wearing a pretty dress. I watched from my place as she was greeted by her family and friends from near and far. Finally she spotted me and I think that is when she knew something really big was about to happen as we haven't been back to Portales in over a decade. She started crying and it took all of my power to not sob for joy, because I knew what was coming!

New Mexico Vacation 2014
Then Andy took the mic.
New Mexico Vacation 2014

He spoke for a few minutes and then his beautiful daughter Kew joined him to sing a lovely song.

New Mexico Vacation 2014

New Mexico Vacation 2014
When they were done, Kew went and watched with Anne while Andy serenaded this lovely woman. The room was filling up with love, it was just so amazing to be a part of this moment, watching it unfold.

New Mexico Vacation 2014Then he did it, finally. He proposed to Anne. For the record these are two of the most amazing people in the entire world and they both feel like family to us, so it was just so amazing to see this moment unfold. Don't worry though, Anne was sassy and her reply was," I guess so!"

Anne and Andy wedding (not our photo)4
Photo by Stefan Kiesbye

I kid you not, the moment Andy proposed the storm broke and a double rainbow appeared in the window behind Andy. The crowd oohed and aaahed at the phenomenon and it's timing couldn't have been better. Eric teased Andy that he went a little overboard with the cheesy romance.

But wait, there's more! Andy called up a minister from the crowd, then he called up bridesmaids (Anne's sister Soley, Kew, and myself) and groomsmen (Andy's friend, Eric and Anne's brother). Yep, it was an instant wedding. Cordelia was holding the rings. Someone popped in with a bouquet. I gave Anne her something old, new, borrowed, blue. We were all set!

Anne and Andy wedding (not our photo)5
 Photo by Stefan Kiesbye

Anne and Andy wedding (not our photo)6Photo by Stefan Kiesbye

Anne and Andy wedding (not our photo)8

Photo by Stefan Kiesbye


The wedding was beautiful and perfect, with the exception of the moment that Elise yelled out," I go poopy momma! I go pooooopyyyyy!" Thankfully nobody cared and everything went beautifully. There wasn't a dry eye in the room as we watched this amazing couple seal the deal!

Then there was music, cake, dancing, playing outside in the fresh air.

Anne and Andy wedding (not our photo)10Photo by Stefan Kiesbye

Anne and Andy wedding (not our photo)11
 Photo by Stefan Kiesbye

New Mexico Vacation 2014

New Mexico Vacation 2014

New Mexico Vacation 2014
Also, a nice woman offered to take a family photo. This is what we got...
New Mexico Vacation 2014
A short while later much of the crew went to the courthouse to sign the marriage license. Andy had called in some favors and a woman was waiting for them after hours!
Anne and Andy wedding (not our photo)12Photo by Stefan Kiesbye

We went to bed that night floating on a cloud of joy. What a gift to be a part of pretty much the coolest wedding of all time! What better couple to see together! Wahooooooo!

9 comments:

Anne Jezek said...

Such a sweet blog! Thank you so much for being there to share in such a life changing moment. It meant the world to me (and I suspect Andy as well) to have you all there, standing up with us...I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. I teared up reading your take on the evening. Love you lots and lots and lots! See you very soon!

Marie Roxanne said...

surprise wedding wow, I myself would have been upset that I couldn't wear a wedding dress. But that's just me... LOL

Sarah Purdy said...

I just love this!! What a beautiful night! You have to tell us, what were the something old/new/borrowed/blue gifts?

That family portrait's a keeper.
Thanks for sharing - it's almost like I was there (wish I had been!).

Sarah Spitz said...

It brought me to tears. This is one of a love story...

wow, and you guys were a part of it! I am so amazed by this surprise wedding! Wonderful!

a lot of love from Germany and the fatcatconnection!
Birdy
http://lasagnolove.blogspot.de/2014/06/what-birdy-did-recently.html

Maria Rose said...

I gave Anne old jewelry to borrow and a new blue bracelet to wear.

Marie, Anne is such a cool and laid back lady I think she was pleased to go with the flow.

Mom said...

I was sooooo excited for the night as well. Even here in Wyoming the anticipation was delightful!

Anne Jezek said...

The dress didn't matter...it will always be my wedding dress because it's the one I got married in. :) I loved that I didn't have to stress about the details (Font on name cards? The color of the flowers?), details that I might have forgotten in a few years.
But the love, oh the love in that room (and from beyond. People who couldn't make it in person, people who have left the Earth but are still with us), THAT is something I'll never forget...until my last day on this planet. It was so sweet, so thoughtful, so...Andy.
All that was really important, to me, was standing there in front of a group of people emanating love, joy, and support telling the person I have loved for so long, that he was the one I choose to be with, chose to continue creating our life together, making a commitment and promise to our unborn child, and legally being able to call him my husband. <3
Such a wonderful night.

Marie Roxanne said...

Ann, I am so glad that you could do it this way, I didn't mean to offend, if that happened to me as it happened to you, I would just "go with the flow" as you did without worrying about the details (wedding dress, cards, flowers etc...) But as I have nobody now, nobody as in I am not dating anyone or in a relationship, I dream about wearing my wedding dress which is in my closet, I bought it because that is what I wanted as a wedding dress. What happens if I don't find that I can't wear it at all? I still have my dream! LOL

Anne Jezek said...

Marie, no offense taken. I really was just trying to impress upon everyone the love and surprise and the magic of it all. As a little girl, and admittedly as a grown woman, I dreamed of my wedding day (white dress and all). It wasn't how I pictured it or imagined it...but it was still amazing.
I say, if you have that dress in your closet, rock it! Find somewhere where you can wear it...it's a shame to hide something so lovely and meaningful. If nothing else, throw a party and have the invites specifically say "it's a fancy party, wear your fanciest clothes" and wear the dress! Enjoy life! Enjoy the dress! Enjoy the unexpected! <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...