1) You can see that the legs were removed and I had a stained table top. Somewhere along the line it had been an art table, after its first life as a dining room table in our Denver apartment. First I sanded the table top.
2) Next I used pink and white acrylic paint and a wet paper towel to make a messy background.
3) I used a pencil to loosely place my design. I wanted it pretty imperfect and planned for some of the pencil to be visible even after I painted.
4) My design was oranges and lemons in an imperfect pattern, no two identical. I painted the fruits in a flat color (orange or yellow). Then I slap dash painted in some white highlights. Then I added green leaves, added some high and low lights. Then I outlines it all in black. Finally a quick coat of polyurethane to protect it from the elements and done. Now I just have to find a home for it.