One recent Saturday morning I was taking an early morning walk-n-talk on the phone with my friend Sarah. She lives states away, but we will often take a walk together anyway.
So I had just set out with Philip and Qiu Jin, Betty was not feeling it that morning. We were settling into a good conversation about some of the issues we are facing in the world of quarantine when some birds swooped by, low. One landed on a nearby electrical box. I could instantly see that it was a non-native bird. It was someone’s parakeet. There was a second parakeet that landed nearby.
I instantly switched to FaceTime so Sarah could see what was happening. I put my hand out and the bird hopped on?!?!! This is the ultimate dream of mine and I cannot express to you how shocking and intense this was for me.


The bird climbed up my arm and made itself right at home!

I could not believe this was happening to me. I ALWAYS whistle to birds and extend my finger. Normally they rudely decline. This little guy took things to the next level.
Poor little babe was tired and took a little snooze. I was scrambling to figure out my next move. First of all, we have plenty of animals in our home and I definitely did not want to adopt this guy and his pal, who was sticking close, but too scared to approach. I had two dogs on a leash and Eric was at home in bed while the girls were in pajamas watching cartoons.
Sarah captured my reaction.
The bird climbed up my arm and made itself right at home!
I could not believe this was happening to me. I ALWAYS whistle to birds and extend my finger. Normally they rudely decline. This little guy took things to the next level.
Poor little babe was tired and took a little snooze. I was scrambling to figure out my next move. First of all, we have plenty of animals in our home and I definitely did not want to adopt this guy and his pal, who was sticking close, but too scared to approach. I had two dogs on a leash and Eric was at home in bed while the girls were in pajamas watching cartoons.
I was beginning to assemble a plan of action when the bird hopped onto my sunglasses!

Then he pooped on my face and flew away! Ha!
Then he pooped on my face and flew away! Ha!
I have tried to find him again, to no avail. I did see his buddy again, but just a fly-by. I feel somewhat hopeful as I have seen a parakeet in Denver living with a bunch of sparrows, so it could happen.
1 comment:
Hi Maria,
...What an amazing story...so glad you got your wish...and that little birdie just instinctively knew that you were a safe person to land on...
~Have a lovely day!
Post a Comment