Monday, August 10, 2020

Two Years!

Today marks two years since we moved from Wyoming to New Mexico. It was the conclusion of a very traumatic period of change. Most change comes with some real pain. We had been through a great deal in the year leading up to our move. So when we pulled up in front of our new home it was bittersweet. We had closed the door on a really vibrant time in our lives. We felt sad and unmoored. Of course there were things to be happy about too, but it was hard to see clearly at that time in life.

Interestingly I think that hard year, in some ways, prepared us for 2020. Having gone through really hard times it has seemed that the difficulties of 2020 are somehow more manageable. We can see that problems are not, in fact, cumulative. I think that was something that we had struggled with in the year leading up to our move: death, job loss, home sale, living with family, unemployment, uncertainty. Now, we know that we can get through that stuff and I think we are more equipped to weather the storm. 

Anyway, when we moved to NM we were certainly heartsick for some time. Most difficult was leaving my parents and our much loved yellow house. It has taken us time to settle in here, but gradually we are feeling more stable and invested in this place. 

For me it was getting a garden going, a post for another day, and getting the home to reflect our personal taste. Slowly. Slowly


Not long ago I painted the stair rails a vibrant coral color. It was as though the house was suddenly home. Strange how those little things make such a difference.

3 comments:

affectioknit said...

Hi Maria,
...I love your orange-y staircase...I remember your orange handled fridge too...
~Have a lovely day!

Mimi said...

Love the colour (and the dog!)☺️

elizabeth said...

i love this color! what a big job - but so wonderful!
also - i totally get finding the little (or big!) thing that suddenly makes a house feel like home.
cheers to settling in. cheers to making it. cheers to feeling at home.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...