Friday, November 2, 2007

Treasure

When I was a little girl I became infected with an obsession for horses. I don't know why this phenomenon is fairly unique to girls, but many a little girl has been fascinated by horses. I don't know if it is their long hair or what, but one thing is certain I loooved them. I was so crazy for horses that I tried to braid horse hair into my own hair in something like a glorified rat tail (remember I was a child in the 1980s).


I used to daydream about unicorns and Pegasuses taking me to some magical land. For some reason I always felt that horses could talk, a feeling that has really persisted into my adult life.


My parents were working hard to get through school and make a life for us. Naturally this meant that they were in no situation to buy a horse for me. They did try to cater to my dream in various ways. For instance they hired someone to teach me about horses once a week for a few months in Jr. high. They bought me horse toys for birthdays and Christmas. They also purchased this necklace for me. I can't say that I remember the exact moment I got this necklace, but it has always been a treasured item. I have carried this necklace with me through a dozen moves and several states. Something about this necklace has resonated with me throughout my whole life. I think that it reminds me of the dreams that I had and parents who did their best to nurture them.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We wish we could've bought you a Pegasus. You would've looked sooooo pretty on it (it would've been your friend and invited you for a ride). Mom

E.K. said...

If someone else had that necklace on they'd look... different. But you manage to look hip with it. You were given a true gift, the gift of cool. I'm so glad I gave you that gift of cool.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...