Above is one of his many rescued photos. A young dancer. The photograph has been hand tinted, meaning the artist took the time to color the photo and really create a beautiful and delicate mood, which probably reflects something about the girl herself.
The photo above is of a somewhat stern looking woman. What you can't tell from the scan is that the photo is actually printed on glass. When Eric realized that I was going to use this photo in a post he had to pull it out and show me the whole production. The glass photo is in a small velvet lined case. The velvet has a pressed floral motif. The image has been hand colored, notice her rosy cheeks and the flower. Her golden jewelry has been painted in as well. I can just imagine her special someone carrying around the photo in his pocket. For some reason I imagine him riding in a train, pulling out the photo, sighing and gazing out the window onto a winter landscape...but I am always inventing scenarios like that.
The photo(s) above is actually from a stereoscope (click here if you don't know what a stereoscope is). Eric is in love with the detailed background. Doesn't it look like it is from the artists studio?
Finally, we have this photo of a little girl holding a large bouquet of flowers. She looks a little uncertain about the whole thing. I wonder what she went on to do in her life, what kind of a person she was. Did she have children? Was she a happy person?Anyway, my husband is amazing for rescuing these little treasures. He seems to feel obligated to appreciate them and preserve them. He also has photos of guys, but those weren't nearly as personal as the ladies.
8 comments:
Those are lovely! And so very special. Thanks for saving them. Makes me smile :-)
Oh, I just love that last photo....
Looking through old postcards is one of my favorite things to do at an antique store....I just love them, especially when there is a message on the back.
You and Eric might be interested in the work of H. Aaron Hequembourg who uses images from old photographs to create wonderful engraved paintings on boards salvaged from a decaying building on their family plantation. S and I just bought one of his works at a festival in Alabama. We spent a long time talking with him and liked him a lot. Here's a link to an article describing what he does.
http://www.ajc.com/living/content/living/stories/2008/05/21/folkart_0522.html
i really like the glass lady, and your scenario.
and the last little girl - she is a question mark, isn't she? why the really big boquet? it looks like a wedding boquet . . .
I love looking through old photos & such. A few years before she passed away, my Grams' home burned to the ground and with it so many photos - it broke our hearts into a zillion pieces, especially because just 2 months before she told me to take them & I said no, I'd get them at Spring Break. Had a hard time forgiving myself for that one.
I'd like to believe there are copies floating around somewhere - hey, maybe you guys have them? :)
Those are such lovely photos!
They bring me back to my library and archives preservation class days.
the library of congress has some awesome preservation resources http://www.loc.gov/preserv/care/photo.html
and the national parks service published these amazing conserv-o-grams about everything from books to photos to quilts with great info on storing these treasures. If you have some time, poke through and look for your rare photo types!
How completely awesome. I learned so much. It was like going to show and tell!
My favorite is the second one. I think there is kindness deep in her eyes. And I like your made up scenario too. What a cool thing to rescue these photos!
Post a Comment