Saturday, June 20, 2009

Integrating More Color

Eric and I have been nesting a lot in our new place, moving things around, trying to merge our old style with the attributes of the quirky house we are now living in. We have discovered that color is key in our new place. We have lots of windows and sunlight is pouring in constantly, making the house seem so cheery and welcoming. So, we are pulling out all of the color stops-so to speak-and we're just rolling with it. I think the added dose of color reflects the extra happiness we've been feeling as of late. Here are some ways that color has been sneaking in:


Our Venus, well we got her at a roadside sale in New Mexico about a decade ago. She has gone through the wringer, following us on many moves, losing her head at one point and spending some time in a tiny bra that I made for her. Now, she has a new look. We've painted her a baby blue and she looks lovely.

Here are the little pieces of glassware that Eric recently found for me at an antique store. I think it's those little touches here and there that really bring a style to life.

Last night we (and when I say "we" I mean Eric) painted our record shelf a light greenish color. Formerly the shelf was just a bland blond wood, now it's a bit more vibrant.

Here are a few Danish Modern pitchers we found at a thrift store for almost nothing. For some reason mid-century design is really under appreciated here in WY. We are quite excited about that fact.

While this is not an exhaustive list of the extra colors we are now exhibiting I think it reflects how much we're getting into it. For me, the place where I live should reflect my mood and be an inspiration. What impacts the way that you decorate?

8 comments:

Chrissy said...

Your Venus looks great!... love the pitchers and your hubby has an eye.. What strikes my mood can be a plant that I've just bought and I can decorate around that... I've gotten my outdoor room looking just the way I want and I started out w/ buying a table fountain to set the mood and then rearranging the furniture at an angle instead of placing them in the traditional way.

Stacy said...

I feel like I've been more colorful lately too. I think it might have to do with how gloomy our weather has been.

So, what colors are you using to decorate your daughter's space?

Emily said...

The glassware Eric picked out is really pretty! I love adding pops of color throughout the house. For several years we had a red couch paired with one yellow chair and one green chair. After ten years or so, we gave the couch away, but I do miss it.

Robin said...

Currently I am under the "less is more" faze in decorating. I have been packing up boxes of stuff that I just don't want to see anymore for awhile!

Court said...

My toddler impacts my decorating! Lately it's been just a manner of surviving but we are hoping to get the hang of wrangling her long enough to make our home seem somewhat adultish in parts of it.

Honey said...

lucky you with all your light how lovely. The bottom half of my house where we all tend to be is very dark almost basement like. colour is great, i also love plants for bringing in depths of green..

affectioknit said...

Neato! I love the syrup pitcher!!!

AKM said...

I wish I had your eye and aptitude for art! For me, decorating is all about color. I don't care about mixing styles so much as long as most things are cool colors of the sea and sky...grays, blues, greens, neutrals.

I AM trying like mad to declutter. I'm a minimalist-wannabee trapped inside a packrat! :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...