Thursday, July 9, 2009

Trip to Grandma's House


Yesterday morning I woke up bright and early, ready to head up to northern Wyoming to visit my family. Before heading out of town I took Bumblebee for a walk, curled my hair (mostly to hide how badly it needs a trim) and then my mom came and picked me up.

We left town and headed out on a beautiful drive through the green hills. Usually Wyoming starts to turn more yellow around this time of year, but the recent rains made for quite a lush landscape. We chatted as we passed deer and antelope and shared concern for drivers who appeared to be either falling asleep at the wheel or merely directing their attention to their cell phones. I had packed some cookies for a mid-morning snack and we enjoyed those babies along the way.

We arrived mid-morning and I got to see cousins, a second cousin, my aunt, my uncle, my grandma and great grandma. We spent the time talking and looking through photo albums. I noticed that my grandma has my awkward pre-teen years very well documented.

The thing about visiting my grandma is that she has several books, toys, etc. which have been around forever. For instance, I got to eavesdrop as she read the above book to 2 year old Levi. She has a particular way of reading the book that doesn't seem to change. I have always loved the book, but my brother Ben looooved this book as a child. Actually I believe that he has had our grandmother read it to him even into his teen years.

I get the same sense of permanence when I visit my great grandmother. Her house has changed little over my entire life. All of the extended family has come to count on the timeless comfort that her home brings. The red carpet, the black couch, the oil lamp, it's all there every time. There are toys that all of us played with as children, miraculously still in tact. There is a part of the wall with pencil marks measuring our heights as we grew over the years, still there.

I know that nothing really lasts forever, but sometimes it's nice to feel like they will.

5 comments:

AKM said...

I know what you mean! I was broken-hearted when my grandma moved out of the house that she and my late grandpa built. It was like someone took my childhood and went POOF! Her new house is adorable, but it's just not the same.

Glad you enjoyed family time. It's the best!

Emily said...

Lovely post! I too enjoy comfort that certain timeless things bring-- like a grandma's house. And my grandma always had a pre-teen, pre-braces, photo of me framed in her sewing room. =)

jumbleberryjam said...

What a sweat visit! I sometimes wonder if - with our thrill of moving often - if our house will ever feel that way for DS (and/or (great)grandchildren), or if I want it to...

Robin said...

Glad you could enjoy a lovely day with family!

Annie Spandex said...

I believe I had that book when I was little!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...