Thursday, December 10, 2009

First Memory, First Friend

What's your first memory? How old were you? My first memory is from just before I turned two, or so my mother has told me. I was running with another little girl, it was windy, mostly I just remember the feel of the little windbreaker I was wearing. My mom told me that this was a little girl named Jennifer and the reason that we can sort of pinpoint the date is because she moved to Australia with her family before my second birthday. Jennifer's mother and my mother were friends and over the years they have kind of stayed in touch. I didn't really have any contact with Jennifer, but I have often thought of that girl from my first memory, my first friend.

Photobucket
This photo has little to do with anything, because I didn't want to post a photo of Jennifer without her permission. It's just me as a wee little lass. I was 8 months old.

Fast forward 26+ years and she has found me. It's so strange to feel connected to someone that I don't at all know. She and I have some of the same photos of each other in our photo albums and we have seen them our whole lives. In some ways I feel like I know her and in others she is a complete stranger. So, now we are in the process of more than 2 decades of catch up. I wonder what her first memory is?

6 comments:

affectioknit said...

what a sweet sweet story - I'm so glad she found you!

Chrissy said...

LOL, I have several but I do remember when my mom had to call the fire dept. because my brother had had upturned a small stool and sat in between the legs and his butt got wedged!.

Annie said...

So you are 28? So young. :-) I'm 36. I've been thinking about my first memory lately and it bothers me because I remember nothing of my early childhood. I have plenty of photos though but photos don't really tell anything. It's so weird how so much of your life can just disappear. And my grandparents who raised me are dead and I have only my mother to ask but she wasn't around that much because she was at work.

I started to think about my childhood more when I got my first child - at the age of 34. And now it feels that life is really short and children grow too quickly. I can't believe my grandparents are dead. They should've lived another hundred years. I miss them so much (even though they were sometimes difficult to live with).

Annie said...

PS. I was friends with someone from the age of two till I was 25 or something. Then she just slowly cut connections because she couldn't handle it that I was more successful than she. It's so sad. I never gave any reason to be jealous. She just had a child too and we've been writing like one email per two years. I wish we could still be friends. It's up to her now. I'm tired of trying.

Okay, think I've done enough confessing. ;-)

Emily said...

My first memories don't start until around age 4. I remember my preschool class very vividly. One weird memory I have is that on my birthday I got to pick out which kind of juice we could have at snack time. I remember being walked to a refrigerator in a teacher's workroom, then my teacher opening it up and pointing to a gallon of grape juice or a gallon of fruit punch. I chose fruit punch. Strange memory, right?

Daphne said...

Fun stuff... I am really lucky in that my very first friend, who I have known from babyhood, happens to live five miles away from me, even though we are now in a completely different state from where we grew up! We were friends until around 5th grade or so, then grew apart, and only got to be friends again when she moved here about 8 years ago. But it's been so wonderful having her here, we both feel like we have a sister very close by, which is nice when our families are very far away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...