Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Is She Psychic?

When my parents come over they often call or text in advance to let me know they are on their way over. I set the phone down and immediately Bumblebee runs around the house frantic with anticipation. She knows they are coming and she is thrilled. She will run to the window and watch, ready to greet them with her trumpeting barks of joy.

Bumblebee

At first I thought that the phone call itself was the trigger for Bumblebee. Nope, she does nothing when other calls or texts come in. Next I thought it might be the time of day. Nope, it happens at any time of day. Finally I wondered if there was something that I was doing to trigger her. Nope, I have tried deliberately doing very different things and she always reacts in the same way.

Last night Eric and I were talking about this phenomenon and he mentioned that earlier in the week he had watched out the window as my dad pulled his car around the corner, two blocks down, and Bumblebee ran to the window. There was no way she could have heard or smelled anything, yet there she was anticipating his arrival.

So what's the deal? Is she psychic? I doubt it because she wouldn't bother begging for food unless she knew it was coming. It's a little bit spooky.

9 comments:

Chrissy said...

they say kids and animals have this innate ability to pick up on things... i bet its because of how u act when u know your parents are coming over? the fact that your hubby looks out the window for them? or maybe its something u say or do after learning they are coming over? do u ever tell C. or B. that 'mom is coming over'? I know I would do that w/my pets.... btw u should read my post on "kids and animals'...

affectioknit said...

YEP - I think she's psychic...

Stacy said...

I watched a documentary one time that said dogs can hear and identify their owners cars from pretty far distances. Rosy gets excited when my phone rings too but only when it's for me to buzz someone up to the apartment.

Annie said...

Dogs are psychic and so are people - dogs are just more advanced. I'm serious. Read "Dogs that know when their owners are coming home" by Rupert Sheldrake. My dog always started to bark in anticipation when I was 500 meters from home.

Annie said...

How do you for example know when someone is staring at your back? We tested that once with my friend. We stared at people from a mall balcony and most of them looked up after we had stared at them for a while, like two minutes or so. It was strange.

elizabeth said...

just catching up with you.

your doggy is funny. :)
your little girl is so, so cute. thank you (again) for sharing pictures and bits about her with us.
your husband is sweet and silly (love the idea that lady gaga wears fancy onsies!).
and you are a beautiful mama. (your quilt is beautiful, too!)

sophie said...

I think animals are really perceptive beings, I know that we (humans) block out a lot we deem as unnecessary and also don't use our brain to its capacity but I think animals really do, probably because they are so primal. It's spooky but it's cool!

Emily said...

Maybe she can hear your parents' voices on the phone? But that wouldn't explain the texts....
She and your parents must have a special connection!

bel said...

Yes. Definitely psychic. You should get her a 900-number...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...