Monday, April 19, 2010

The Birthday Routine Once Again

When I was a wee little lass my family had something of a birthday routine for each member of the family including opening presents in the morning, cake, singing and a feeling of specialness. My routine was always to have mom make lasagna. Since I've grown up and moved away I haven't had that routine in the same way.

My b-day

I was trying to remember the last birthday I spent with my family and I think it may have been my 18th birthday! So, yesterday was quite a treat. We went over to my parent's house in the late afternoon and I opened a few very thoughtful gifts and then we had dinner. My mom pulled out all the stops. She made me a meal of favorites: lasagna with sheese, cantaloupe, baby kosher dill pickles, salad with goddess dressing, bread, black olives and for dessert a tasty vegan cake. What a kind thing for her to do!!! We all played Boggle, but nobody let me win (boo).

Anyway it was lovely and made me feel like I did when I was growing up, loved and appreciated by my family.

How was your day? Do anything interesting this weekend?

6 comments:

Stacy said...

Happy birthday! Sounds like a lovely day. And, I think black olives are among the world's most perfect food.

I had book club yesterday. It was lovely!

Helena said...

Happy Birthday! I actually never celebrate my birthday anymore because I find that a weird way to spend a birthday (but I don't mind other people's parties :-)). I just stop to think about my life so far and possibly make plans or changes for the future.

PS. I take my words back. I don't think that all new age sites are full of crap. I just bumped into some that were.

..... Carmen said...

I am so glad you were pampered! We were at a 1st birthday party, then spent some time down by the river throwing rocks, then finally a BBQ with my parents. A long but delightful day!

Emily said...

It rained the entire weekend here, so we took the girls to see How To Train Your Dragon which they loved. Otherwise we stayed inside reading and playing. Glad you had a good bday!

AKM said...

I love olives and pickles, too! Over the weekend I went to a woman's retreat with my mom at her church. It was really nice. It's so great that you got to spend your birthday with your special loved ones!

elizabeth said...

i love it when birthdays (or anniversaries) end up just the way you'd wish. :) so glad yours was warm and full of love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...