Saturday, April 17, 2010

A Few Thoughts on Aging

Tomorrow is my birthday. I keep forgetting about it and then my dad asks, "Are you getting excited for your precipice birthday?" He means that I on the precipice of 30. I will be turning 29 years old tomorrow. So I have one year left as a twenty-something. I have given all of this very little thought, mostly because I've been distracted by her...

smile

So, I guess I will be one year closer to 30, or just one day closer however you look at it. I am not fearful of the big 3-0 because my mother said that she has felt like I've been a 40 year old woman since I was a baby. I take that as a compliment because I think she means it to be one. Like the coolest 40 year old woman that ever was right?

Funny story about age. I have always been confused by people who lie about their age, saying that they are younger than they actually are. I mean, why say you are 25 when you are 35 and look it? People just think "Woooo, she looks bad for her age."

With that in mind I figured that I if I were to lie I would lie in the opposite direction, saying that I am much older so people would marvel at how gracefully I've aged. Well, that plan has a sting to it. Let me explain...

When I was in my early 20s I was in class one day and we were doing a get-to-know-you type of exercise. We were supposed to reveal our age to a class partner. More than anything I was being silly when I said I was 40, thinking we'd both laugh and move on. Well, my partner didn't bat an eyelash, she believed I was 40!!!! I was stupefied. I repeated myself thinking maybe she hadn't paid attention. Again, nothing. I couldn't take it anymore. I didn't look 40 so I said (rather loudly), "I'm not 40!!!!! I am 23!!!" She just mumbled that she thought I looked really good for 40. Ugh. So, now I just stay on the straight and narrow and keep my age out in the open. The lesson is never, never, never say that you are older than you are.

In other news Eric will be turning 30 two weeks from this day. Do you have any ideas how we should celebrate his big crossover?

4 comments:

Chrissy said...

Have u left C. w/your mom overnight? It might be good for u two to go spend a day together, or overnight somewhere? Even just going out to dinner alone is special...

affectioknit said...

Happy Birthday! I never lie about my age - and I think it's generally a bad idea to lie about anything...

Emily said...

Well, you definitely do NOT look 40years old. I can't believe the girl in your class fell for that. I always think it is good to just embrace the age that you are. That, I think, makes you seem young at heart.

Oh and for Eric's bday..let's see..cook his favorite meal and have a Zombie movie marathon perhaps? :)

pineapplemint said...

I am turning 30 in a couple of months. When I turned 29 I felt the same way you do, but now as 30 grows nearer I am embracing it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...