Friday, May 21, 2010

Project: Super Fast Spring Scarf

I know it's not winter scarf season, but it's perfectly acceptable to wear a stylish spring scarf and this project is just that. I saw something like this in a sewing project book somewhere, but for the life of me I cannot recall what book. I just took the general idea and ran with it, though I think you could make a rug using the same technique. The whole project takes under half an hour, just right for people with little time on their hands. There is a lot of room for creativity and you can really use up your scraps and notions.

1) First you will need to gather yarn, fabric scraps, ribbon, or whatever you have laying around. You will also need to get some water soluble stabilizer, it comes in 8 x 10 sheets. I cut the sheets in half lengthwise for this particular project, but you'll see that you can pretty much make any desired shaped with a little careful planning.


2) Lay flat 1/2 of the stabilizer sheets. In this instance I wanted a long rectangle for my scarf shape. Then I piled my yarn on top of the stabilizer, spreading it evenly throughout. You can do this with anything you can sew through.
paper and laying out.

3) Once you have a good even distribution you will lay the other half of the paper on top. Then pin it all together into a package, like so...
pinned


4) Then take your package and sew all over in whatever manner you like. I chose to go crazy and do whatever I wanted since much of my yarn was heavily textured I didn't have to worry about the thread being particularly visible. If you try to do this with solid fabric scraps you could use the sewing as a cool accent, maybe with a contrasting color.
Sewn through


5) Take out all of the pins once you are confident that you've sewn enough that the bits will stay together. Then toss the whole paper package in the wash and the paper will magically disappear. I stood there and watched the water pour over the paper package and it dissolved instantly, kind of cool. You'll be left with a nice unique spring scarf.
Bee sniffing scarf
Bumblebee Approves!

9 comments:

affectioknit said...

WOW! What an amazing idea!

Tammie said...

what a cool idea. where can you get those stabilizer sheets? are they at craft stores?

Chrissy said...

I have never heard of that 'stabilizer' u used... wow... I liked the scrap yard u used, that is a wild idea.... definitely magic...

Maria Rose said...

Yep, the stabilizer can be found at any craft store...if I can find it here in Wyoming you can find it!

AKM said...

Very cool!

Is Miss Cordelia feeling better?

Maria Rose said...

Oh yes, I keep forgetting to tell you all that Cordelia is well, just a little bit boogery.

Stacy said...

Aren't you all sorts of crafty? Love it!!!

Victoria said...

Love It!!

sophie said...

that is an awesome project, I love it!! We are well and truly in scarf season right now!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...