Thursday, May 20, 2010

Awkward, Really Awkward

I think it's safe to say that we have all have felt awkward at some point in our lives. Sometimes it's all in our minds and other times...it's definitely not. I think I hit my awkward stride when I was in junior high.

I said the wrong things at exactly the wrong times, thinking I was hilarious and then feeling the sting when my attempts at humor were not realized.

My body was disproportionate, think child sized torso and adult sized limbs and for some reason my teeth were not quite right, though I can't put my finger on just what it was. I never had braces so it's just one of the great mysteries of life.

I was incredibly self-aware. It must have been painful just to be around my awkwardness. Seriously it wasn't a good scene. Add to that the first hints of adolescent acne and size 11 shoes and you have a pretty good picture of where I was at.

So you can imagine that I was not too eager when school photo time came around. I practiced my "look" in my upstairs bathroom. I decided that I had to wear blue as my blue eyes were the only feature that hadn't been distorted by adolescence. I had to play to my strengths.

Then I took a good look at my forehead and noticed my first smattering of pimples, ugh! I remember thinking that they were less obvious if I raised my eyebrows, creating wrinkles in my forehead. So that's how I decided to take my photo. Now without further ado I present you with this photographic gem....

Super Awkward

You may be wondering why I am showing this to you. The answer is simple, because it's hilarious. Each time this photo shows up we all get a good laugh, I think mostly because the "look" was so calculated and the end result is so painfully awkward. So I hope you enjoyed this and maybe recalled your awkward moments, care to share some details of your awkward phase? Don't worry it's quite liberating!

10 comments:

elizabeth said...

oh. my dear.
i went through about two weeks in 7th grade when i thought that turquoise blue eye shadow was beautiful . . . . it wasn't.

i posted some jokes that are definitely your style today. :)

i hope your little lady is feeling better today.

E.K. said...

What most people call my awkward phase in 3rd grade I call my awesome phase. Rat-tails, Iron Maiden shirts and a girl's voice. How could the ladies resist me?

Daphne said...

Sorry to have a good laugh at your teenage self, but this is the best awkward photo I've seen in awhile. Thank goodness you grew into a beautiful swan. :)

affectioknit said...

I loved Dapne's comment about the swan - and I did have a chuckle - it's so nice that you can look back and laugh at yourself too...

Tammie said...

ha ha...bravo to you for posting that picture.

i was awkward all through middle school. i just really wanted to fit in and tried everything possible to do so. the outcome was always bad though. i wore clothes that were wrong for my body and hunted down brand names i didnt really like because everyone else was wearing them. it was just awful.

i have no pictures around. i ditched them all a long time ago and threw away my yearbooks when we moved. it was time to embrace the future. :)

Stacy said...

Middle school was just an awkward period... Great photo sharing my friend!!

..... Carmen said...

Ha! That made me laugh. The photo is too precious. I should take a picture of me in Grade 7 - bangs down covering one eye & braces with a sailor looking collared shirt I had bought in Amsterdam. Not good. But oh does it bring back memories. I hope Cordelia is starting to feel better today! And I wanted to let you know, I went weeks ago and picked up a seahorse for Aidan. It is working wonders over here helping him get back to sleep at night. THANK YOU & a big hug :)

sophie said...

I love this post Maria - I was dorky and awkward as a 13 year old, I actually am still a little that way. I am dealing with a 14 year old who is just so uncomfortable about every aspect of her body it is bringing back so many memories for me!! I am not sure what else I can do but assure her that she is beautiful and everything will even out as she grows (she has the smattering of acne and size 10 feet too - I think she is going to be tall)!!

Gypsy said...

What do you mean, awkward? I think you were beautiful!

Karlene Kamelle said...

My most awkward phase was in 6th grade. I just moved to a new school and really wanted to impress my classmates. So I decided to stop allowing my mom pick out my wardrobe and do my hair, which she actually did a great job making me look hip to the times, anyway I decided to instead where overall shorts with stripes, glasses and pigtails. I remember thinking that I looked really great trading the big hair in for the pigtails too. I guess I was being true to my nerd self.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...