Sunday, August 22, 2010

Something New

My face

The other day started strange. I awoke at four in the morning to the sound of my cat Ophelia saying, "Cerebro." I lay there in the dark, confused, trying to make sense of the fact that Ophelia could talk, that she'd chosen her first words to be Cerebro. I pondered the meaning of Cerebro for quite some time, wondering if maybe it was one of the X-Men. Finally, I drifted back to sleep. When I awoke I still wasn't 100% sure that Ophelia couldn't talk and I avoided eye contact for the rest of the day, easily done with someone who spends 23 1/2 hours a day sleeping. Apparently she spends the other 1/2 hour saying things like Cerebro.

Anyway I should have known that the day would be strange; once one strange thing happens there are usually more to follow. A short time later I received a brief phone call requesting a meeting on Friday...a meeting about a teaching job at the college. I was caught completely off guard, in fact I think I may have been genuinely flabbergasted. I spent all week wondering if I already had a job, if this was an interview, how would it impact our life, would I enjoy it, what class would I teach, etc., etc.

Friday morning rolled around and I got myself dressed. I tried to look professional as I assumed I would be younger than the rest of the faculty. I tried to cover the entire span of art history in my mind, but just started a weird mental chant of the code of hammurabi, repeating those words over and over---thankfully it was kind of pleasant. I put on some gray pants and Eric said that I needed to iron them. Ugh, who has time iron? So I changed pants and I fully intend to rid myself of the gray pants because I am not the kind of gal who advance plans an outfit and irons the night before. Sam stopped by and said that he almost didn't recognize me with my hair in a bun, which is kind of weird Sam maybe needs to get his eyes checked.

I left early just in case this was the one and only day that Wyoming had a traffic jam. Needless to say I arrived early; I don't think all of the cars in the state could make a traffic jam. I said goodbye to Eric, he dropped me off like it was my first day of school. I walked slowly into the building, looking back at Eric who gave me a thumbs up of encouragement.

I didn't even have to interview, I already had the job! I got the tour, learned about the class I will be teaching and before I knew it I was back in the car, my head spinning. I am starting in less than two weeks! I just have one night class so Cordelia will not need to do daycare or anything and I intend to keep it that way, but it's something to do and a way for me to feel as though I am financially contributing to this family. I am really excited and really nervous!

When I was in school I had an ongoing mental list of things I would or would not do if ever I was to teach a class of my own. Have you ever made such a list? If so, what was on it?

12 comments:

Helena said...

I never thought I'd be a teacher either. :-) Congrats!!

Tammie said...

ooh im so excited for you. i havent financially contributed in a long time and it is a stinky feeling. best of luck!

Victoria said...

I'd love to know what's on that list.

Victoria said...

..oh, and yes, I have made many lists like that. The first was about being a mother(the longest list by far), a wife, a cook, then a boss, and a teacher. My latest...lists all the ways I want to be successful without looking and acting like a man

Maria Rose said...

Victoria,

So far my list includes:
~ Don't test intro students over information they will never use in real life.
~Ending class when class is done, rather than wasting time.
~Make it a point to at least try and convey my passion.
~Keep class fun, not just an endless slide show.
~Care about the success of my students.
~Introduce my students to art in the real world, not just books.

affectioknit said...

That's so AWESOME! Congratulations!

Robin said...

This is such great news for you!

Stacy said...

Yay for you!! How fun to plan for your own class. And a talking cat to boot!

the dwellers said...

Congratulations... how exciting. I'm sure your students will love you. :)

AKM said...

Wow! Yay for you! I'm sure it will be an awesome class! I loved my intro to art class in undergrad. You'll be the hip cool young teacher whom everyone will love!

Momma CupKate said...

I not only had the list, but, as a tutor for 3 years, I've refined it. That list is gold, baby! Have an astounding semester!

Momma CupKate said...

P.S. I especially LOVE the final thing on your list.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...