Monday, November 22, 2010

What Happened Last Night?

Have you seen those teen movies from the 1980s that begin with a slow pan across a filthy floor piled high with beer bottles, cigarette butts, and other gross party left-overs? The next scene is inevitably a lead character sitting up in the midst of the filth and rubbing his/her head and asking, "What happened last night?"

We had our own version of that this morning except replacing booze and cigarettes with diapers and toys.

Morning Mess

Let me back track to Saturday night. We were sitting on the couch watching TV at 11pm. Cordelia was in my arms, having just fallen back to sleep. Florence and the Machine started playing on SNL and Cordelia woke up to the sound of familiar music, then she started clapping. She was awake and she didn't go back to sleep until sometime after 2am. I was up at 6:30 on Sunday morning.

Needless to say we spent Sunday in something of a fog. The weather outside was downright frigid. Snow and arctic blasts to be specific. We mostly stayed in, only briefly venturing out in the a.m.

I made banana bread and later pizza. Eric and Cordelia were in their pj's by 3pm; I held out until 7ish. Neither of us made any effort to clean up. Instead the toys piled up. Cordelia emptied out her drawer of diapers, her toy box, clothes drawers, etc... things began to accumulate. You many be wondering why we let it happen, but I don't have an answer any better than simple exhaustion. I think we both entertained the idea of doing something about the mess, but we didn't. You know what, it was kind of wonderful! Like when I was a teenager and didn't care about the layers of funk on my floor. Of course we didn't just sit there like zombies, we were productive in other ways, but cleanliness wasn't on the radar.

Girl and Sock Monkey

Now it's morning and I am looking around at the remnants of an awesome Sunday and I think, perhaps, it's time to pick up a bit. How was your weekend?

8 comments:

Girl_To_Woman said...

Ok, I offically love your blog! :)

Your children are just too cute! :) and you seem to be fullfiling my life-long dream of having a small bussiness of hand made stuff.... I'll be watching your success with a keen eye! :)

I do admit to trying to get people to read my blog and comment, follow, ect... but this time I truely just wanted to tell you how awsome your blog is. :) Although you are WELCOME to read my blog, orcourse! LOL!

Blossom

Robin said...

Those are the best kind of weekends!

sophie said...

I agree with Robin, you need to know when you can let stuff go! Trying to operate on 4 hours sleep isn't easy!

Emily said...

Oh my gosh, that is our house too. Between work, kids, and hospital visits, our home looks like a scary movie scene too. I'm declaring tomorrow "Cleaning Day".

Anonymous said...

Have you filled your glass head yet?

Maria Rose said...

I will be filling my glass head very soon! I have a plan and I will keep you posted.

elizabeth said...

love this. i so remember those days of baby goodness strewn all over the house. :) and now we have days of legos and markers and paper strewn all over the house. it's good as long as it's not every day. :) and i can also relate to the "too tired to do anything" feeling . . . sort of zombie-esque . . . but still fun.

Momma CupKate said...

I love that last picture of her and the monkey with her little baby neck so close to the camera. Seriously want to kiss your child.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...