Monday, January 24, 2011

Build a Terrarium

Perhaps it is the snow and bone chilling winds outside, but I am in need of a little green...not money (well that wouldn't hurt), but plants. I decided to answer the call of my green thumb and start a little terrarium. My ultimate plan is to have 4-5 terrariums of varied sizes and shapes in some sort of artful display.

Step 1
Step 1: Gather your supplies. I chose a small glass container, a couple of plants, gathered some rocks and twigs from outside, and a few tiny birds to decorate.

Step 2
Step 2: Put a layer of rocks or gravel in the bottom of the container for drainage. You don't want soggy roots, that would be humiliating.

Step 3
Step 3: Break apart your plants into manageable bits, with root-balls intact.
**Optional: Name plants and figurines.

Step 4
Step 4: Spoon in a layer of fertilized soil.

Step 5
Step 5: Add and arrange plants and twigs.

Step 6
Step 6: Add decorative elements like rocks, pebbles, figures, etc. I started with the larger pieces first. Make sure everything is evenly distributed.

Step 8
Step 7: Inspect your materpiece from all angles. Admire your work. Give your plants a good misting and then put the lid on your terrarium.

Done
Step 8: Enjoy the terrarium!

11 comments:

Ana said...

What a nice idea! I'm terrible with plants, but it would be nice to have some green in the house; maybe I'll give it a try and see.

Keia Kato-Berndt said...

I LOVE Terrariums! I wanted to do a project with them in college, so I started collecting all these glass containers from my class mates and my old jam jars, but then never got around to it... anyway, yours is so cute! I especially like the little birds.

affectioknit said...

Perfect!

Stacy said...

Terrariums are big right now. I have another friend that just took a class on highly designed ones.

Enjoy yours!

the mountain fox said...

That is so sweet! Think I might have to copy you!

Ash said...

awesome idea!!

AKM said...

Lovely! I used to love making those in Girl Scouts.

Emily said...

Great idea! I think my very pale green thumb could even handle that. :)

elizabeth said...

so, so wonderful!

this i need to do! they work so well for growing seeds, too - because you don't kill them by forgetting to water them. i think my kiddos and i will be building a few terrariums in the next week. i just need to get some glass containers that will work. :) i'm going to check out the goodwill first. :)

Momma CupKate said...

Soo....Does it come with a cutie-pie Cordelia?

sophie said...

I love that terrarium. Did you choose indoor plants? How often do you mist them? I am so keen to do this!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...