Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine

The first Valentine's Day that really struck a chord with me was in 4th grade. A boy named Eric (not my Eric) gave me a fabric rose as a gift. I gave him an MC Hammer tape that I had recently purchased at a gas station while I was there to buy a Crystal Clear Pepsi. I don't remember his reaction, but I am certain he was impressed with my cutting edge musical tastes.

Then in high school I remember watching as all of the girls in my class were delivered flowers throughout the day. I never was (oh the trauma), but I imagined that someday Valentine's Day would be a big deal. My future husband would shower me with roses and chocolates and love letters full of promise and meaning.

The thing about it is that it isn't that way at all.

This morning as we were going about our Monday morning business I said, "Oh hey, it's Valentine's Day."

"Oh yeah," said my Valentine of over 13 years.

Hubby
My Valentine at work on a recent film project

Now don't get me wrong, we do the whole flowers, chocolates and love letters business, but rarely on Valentine's Day.

Also, we have our own little living Valentine...

Valentine
Our Valentine

However, now that I am on the subject I will probably dress up and make us a nice family Valentine's Day dinner tonight. I might even break out the good china, watch out!

Are you a celebrator of Valentine's Day? If so, what are your plans?

10 comments:

E.K. said...

Do we still have My Bloody Valentine on dvd? Just saying...

Orange Paisley said...

My Valentine leans over to whisper in my ear when we are at the movies. This is what he says, "I don't have anything to say." Translated, that means, "I love you." I'm pretty sure...

Orange Paisley said...

Love my new name! I think I'll have it legally changed! In the meantime, feel free to call me that.

affectioknit said...

We definitely celebrate...the Man said he's picking up Scout from school...so something must be planned...surprise...and I saw some vegan pasta recipes up on his screen...sneaky me...Fun!

Happy Valentines Day!

Helena said...

I forgot it but got a cute card from my husband. On our first Valentine's he bought me heart-shaped clothespins with little pink pigs glued onto them...

Robin said...

Eric W? I wonder if he still has it?

Maria Rose said...

I hope he still has that MC Hammer tape. It was too legit to quit!

rachel.k said...

I've been with my husband 7 years and we've only had 1 Valentine's Day together, so I'm a little callused (he's in the Navy). But still, it's hard not to feel extra lovey dovey today :) It'll just have to be my dog getting all the love!

Keia Kato-Berndt said...

haha! That story is great. I was never a big fan, actually was kind of scared of valentines day (not sure why). Anyway, we don't do a big fandango either, but I did manage to put together a rather nice dinner for the two of us :)

singlemama said...

I never was. but as you could see, my 1st valentine's night as single mom was great :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...