Saturday, August 20, 2011

A Ceremony of Our Own

Last week I mentioned that Eric and I had finally graduated with our MAs. We did not, however, attend our graduation ceremony. Actually we did nothing to acknowledge the occasion---possibly due to shame (it did take us a small eternity to edit our thesis papers). Anyway, once we were back home from our NC trip we decided that we needed to have a little ceremony of our own, why not?!

So I made us some radical diplomas (we have yet to receive our actual diplomas).

diplomas

diploma

We held the commencement ceremony on our back patio. Since the graduating class was comprised of two individuals we decided that we should each give a speech.

audience
Cordelia set up our audience

diploma handover
I handed Eric his diploma and he returned the favor.

diploma
He was thrilled, he couldn't believe this day had finally arrived.

emotional
After a few tears were shed Eric was able to compose himself and give a riveting 30 second speech.

After what was certainly one of the most inspirational speeches of all time (sorry no transcript available) I was up next.

IMG_9606
I graciously accepted my diploma

Then I launched into my speech....it was a bit lengthier

speech4
I gave a balanced speech...I believe

speech3
I expressed my disappointment in the system

speech2
I was also sure to thank those who had helped and inspired me along the way

Truly the ceremony was a thing of magic. I am sorry you missed it, but hopefully this account will bring the experience to life for you...

After our "graduation" we held a fort night party!

fort

What?! You've never been to a par-tay this awesome?!

9 comments:

Keia Kato-Berndt said...

congrats on the MAs!

AKM said...

Congrats, you guys! All your hard work paid off.

Emily said...

I'd come to that party! :)

Kathryn Ashcroft said...

Well done to both of you (I'm working towards a Masters, I know what hell it is) xx You must be so relieved!

Carmen said...

That's Awesome :). And after having attended a masters ceremony at a university, I can tell you yours looked much more enjoyable! Congrats on such a great achievement :)

Rachel said...

that is one captured audience!!!

affectioknit said...

FUN! CONGRATULATIONS!

Susan S said...

Well, I'd have attended had I been invited...

Tammie said...

ha. i love you guys. you both are my kinda corny.

oh, and of course congrats on the diplomas.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...