Monday, September 19, 2011

Art

Eric and I love art. Perhaps that goes without saying as we are both artists and art historians...

When we started college we decorated our dorm rooms with the obligatory art prints which could be bought at "print" sales on campus. Later, when we each had our own apartments we started decorating with those same prints, but we decided to step it up and frame our art--in dollar store frames with plexiglass instead of real glass.

Slowly we started to gain a few pieces of real art from our artist friends. We got married and in the combining of our lives we let those sad prints slip into the ether. Who knows where they are now? Somewhere along the line we decided that we only wanted to look at real art. So, two very very poor college students began to collect art.

Thankfully our education has allowed us to spot some great pieces that were discarded at thrift stores and estate sales. We also have some artist friends who were willing to make a trade (our art for theirs). We began to actually buy art as we have become adults, which feels so good. I love to support artists!

We have always had a list of artists that we wanted to collect when we had the opportunity. On the very top of that list was a piece by Michael Copeland...you have probably read my many posts talking about Copeland (his website is here) and his wife Victoria (her blog is here).

We recently received an invitation to a show that Copeland was having down in New Mexico. We were disappointed that we couldn't make it down for the opening. Thankfully Victoria sent us images from the show. We looked over each image, wishing that we could see them in person, catch the details that cameras just can't capture. Then it hit us, we should get one! We both seemed to know which piece we should get. We made it happen. We were so excited, giddy even. We couldn't wait for the piece to arrive!

Finally the UPS truck pulled up in front of our house and it was all I could do not to run out there and wrench the package out of the delivery man's hands. Don't worry I was able to restrain myself.

box
I don't know about you, but I have never received a wooden box in the mail, it was kind of awesome.

opening
Eric unscrewed the lid, he was not using a battery operated screwdriver, but apparently Cordelia thought it looked like it might be noisy.

the package
Wrapped in plastic

Changing of the Guard
We already had a space waiting for it so the piece was immediately hung and admired.

detail
Love the detail!

I love to watch this piece throughout the day, to find little pieces of it that might be overlooked on first glance. I love to see how the mood changes with the light.

Do you have art in your home? A favorite piece?

5 comments:

Tammie said...

oh my gosh, what a great piece.

Roxee said...

Very nice piece of work. Glad you showed the wooden box it was sent in, that means the artist cares very much about the hard work it went into creating the art.
Praise and respect to all great artists, especially my now(blind)artist mom!

AKM said...

I like the contrasting textures and colors in that piece! I wish I had a better eye to pick out good art. Of course, I guess it's really all subjective, right? ;-)

Victoria said...

Thanks for the shout out! We LOVE that you have this piece and hope that you enjoy it for a very long time. It is so gratifying to know that as very talented artists in your own right, you appreciate Michael and his work and have honored him with your acquisition. Thank you for being friends and patrons. Love you dearly.

On my way Home... said...

My favorite piece is from a friend in college... it was a throw away according to her, but I liked it a lot. So much that I still have it and had it custom framed so I can continue to enjoy it for a long time.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...