Thursday, October 20, 2011

Project: Dia De Los Muertos Shadow Box

For some reason I was bitten by the shadow box bug this week. I felt compelled to make a shadow box and once I have my creative mind set to something I just have to see it through, usually I end up with a dozen new ideas by the end of one project and that was the case with my shadow box.

distance

Compelled by the season I decided on a bit of a day of the dead (dia de los muertos) theme instead of straight up Halloween.

Here is a little run down of what I did:
  • I took a wooden box we had laying around, painted the interior. I wrapped the outside in paper from an old encyclopedia set.
paper
  • I found a branch that fit into the box and wrapped it with yarn.
  • Next I cut out some curlicues from the same book and adhered them to the back of the box.
box with birds
  • I cut out some images of birds, adhered them to paperboard (for sturdiness), trimmed the paperboard, and attached the birds to the branches.
skull
  • I inserted a store bought nest.
skull and bird
  • I made a skull and flowers out of clay.
flowers
  • I added the clay elements and called it good.
I haven't decided if I am going to add something to the back so I can hang the box or if it is something that will sit on a shelf...

Have you got any cool ideas or themes for shadow boxes?

6 comments:

Kate said...

I adore shadow boxes. I am working on some for my babes: I took each outfit from their birthdays {from the actual birth day, then each year on birthdays} and paired it with a photo taken that day. Alas, I am not as artistic as you, but I think once they're on the wall it will be lovely. I have to say it's fortunate I didn't have 5 kids; I'd run out of space!

Stacy said...

So talented - Great job!

Roxee said...

Great box. I will create these someday... and use them to fill up wall space.

beka {ginger*urchin} said...

This is so good. Well done on your first shadow box :)

I too love boxes for display: be they big shadow box such as yours, or tiny, pocket-sized 'shrines'. If you are not already familiar, I am pretty certain 'Cloth Paper Scissors' will have lots of ideas on either... I like the idea of possibly adding/altering to a starter box each year - or just growing a collection of them on your wall ;)

Nice to meet you, btw, and thanks for your visit the other day :)

Susan said...

I especially love the clay elements.

AKM said...

I love Mexican religious art, particularly Dia De Los Muertos pieces. Well-done!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...