Monday, October 3, 2011

Project: Embellishing

Cordelia had this pink shirt that was perfectly fine, but I never put it on her because it was kind of dull. Yesterday evening I decided to jazz it up a bit. Here is what I came up with.


cutie

You could easily use this idea to hide stains on shirts, do it to bags, pants, hats, adult clothing (perhaps with a more grown up imagery).

Supplies
Step 1
One garment, I chose this wrinkled turtleneck.

Step 4
Fabric scraps

Step 2
Miscellaneous buttons. I chose buttons that worked well with my vision for the end result.

Step 3
Embroidery floss.

Step 5
Heat N Bond

Not shown, an embroidery hoop and an iron are also needed


Step 1
Step 6
Cut out the Heat N Bond into squares to match your fabric scraps. Lay the tacky side of the Heat N Bond on the wrong side of the fabric (the paper should be facing up and out).

Step 2
Step 7
Iron the back of the Heat N Bond according to directions. On the paper make a simple sketch of the image you hope to transfer. I wanted flowers.

Step 3
Step 8
Cut out the shape.

Step 4
Step 9
Peel of the backing paper

Step 5
Step 10
Lay out the shapes any way you wish on top of the garment.

Step 6
Step 11
Iron them on according to package directions

Step 7
Step 12
Next you can break out your embroidery floss, embroidery hoop and go to town. Just be creative. If you are new to embroidery then here is a link to get you started with some basic stitches. I outlined my adhered fabric because I find the Heat N Bond isn't always fool proof. I placed my buttons in the center of the flowers. I also used floss colors that matched the button and stood out against the fabric.

loves to pose

detail

dandelion head

Have you been crafting lately?

12 comments:

Kate W. said...

Very cute, Maria!! O my gosh, in that last photo, her hair looks just like a halo! :)

Stacy said...

So adorable! I bet Cordelia loved it.

Susan said...

Adorable! ... and the shirt is cute also. :-) Kate, her hair does make her look angelic, huh?

affectioknit said...

ADORABLE!

Roxee said...

Do I hear $100.00?
Going once, going twice, SOLD!

This is definitely something that can be put on a runway, with Cordelia as the star model!

Victoria said...

Tres cute!

Rachel said...

such a cute shirt!

AKM said...

Amazingly cute! My, the things you and your mama create! I definitely think I'm going to try to at least take up crocheting this winter.

sara said...

what a great idea! looks super cute.

Emily said...

You are amazing! It looks SO cute! And so does the little TWO YEAR OLD girl wearing it. :)

Kate said...

SHUTUP! Love and adore it!! I'm making costumes for the babes. I don't own a sewing machine, so I have begin early.

On my way Home... said...

so fun to see that fabric in use! great idea!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...