Saturday, January 7, 2012

Tomato Coconut Curry Soup

When we were living in Denver we regularly ate at a restaurant called Watercourse because they make delicious vegan food. One of my favorite things on their menu is their tomato coconut curry soup, it is so good. You must try it if you are ever in Denver. When we moved to Wyoming I went through withdrawals. I wanted it, dare I say that I needed it? Our visits to Denver a few times a year were not enough, so I emailed them begging for the recipe. They never replied. I tried a few more times and was met only with disappointment.

So I set out to come up with something that could satiate my need. One night, while looking at a barren fridge I walked over to the cabinet and I spotted some condensed tomato soup...then I looked at a can of coconut milk and I though, heck, maybe it is that simple. So I started tossing a few things together and came up with a very satisfying version of their magnificent recipe. I am still working to capture a more sophisticated version, but this one is so simple and so good that you really must give it a try.

tomato cocconut curry
Tomato Coconut Curry Soup with vegan quesadillas (whole grain tortillas and Daiya vegan cheese) and fresh fruit.

Ingredients
  • 2 cans vegan condensed tomato soup
  • 1 can coconut milk
  • 1 can fire roasted, crushed tomatoes
  • 1/4 c. of very thinly sliced onion and carrots---whatever looks good to you. I have also included thinly sliced cabbage in the past.
  • 1 1/2-2 tsp. curry powder
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions

  1. Pour all of the canned goods into a large soup pot.
  2. Add the veggies and turn to medium heat. Cook stirring regularly, turn down the heat to medium if it looks like it wants to boil. When the carrot and onion seem tender, about 10 minutes depending upon how thinly you sliced.
  3. Add the curry powder and salt and pepper to taste. Stir for a few more minutes, letting the flavors meld. Serve warm!
eating soup
Cordelia really got into it, although I had to remove the chunks of stuff as they creeped her out, kids!

10 comments:

Keia said...

sounds great! and Cordelia seems to be enjoying it. I always get bothered by places/people not sharing recipes. isn't that the point?

Keia said...

sounds great! and Cordelia seems to be enjoying it. I always get bothered by places/people not sharing recipes. isn't that the point?

Kate said...

We eat an obscene amount of curry, but have yet to make it as well as a restaurant here in Clovis. We've tried it in every town we've visited, but she blows us all out of the water. I think that makes me a wee bit obsessed to get it right.

Roxanne said...

Keia Quote: "I always get bothered by places/people not sharing recipes. "

The reason why restaurants won't share their recipes: it's because they don't want it to get into the wrong hands, and selfish people will sell the recipe as their own invention... some recipes are copywritten for protection, think Kentucky Fried Chicken...
But since Maria Rose didn't copywrite her version, anyone can create this soup at home, like ME! This looks yummy! Thanks Maria Rose!

Emily said...

I love both coconut and tomato individually, so combining the flavors sounds really delish!

Victoria said...

Oh, I've been waiting for this one! It is on my list to try. Thanks!

Kirsten Taggart said...

Quick and easy...cool!

AKM said...

Ooh, three of my favorite flavors! I make a similar soup from a recipe in the PETA College Cookbook. YUM! Soup is the best!

Keia said...

yeah...I kind of knew that, but I just wish the world wasn't that way :)

Nicole Elizabeth said...

Another tasty recipe! Love it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...