So I set out to come up with something that could satiate my need. One night, while looking at a barren fridge I walked over to the cabinet and I spotted some condensed tomato soup...then I looked at a can of coconut milk and I though, heck, maybe it is that simple. So I started tossing a few things together and came up with a very satisfying version of their magnificent recipe. I am still working to capture a more sophisticated version, but this one is so simple and so good that you really must give it a try.
Tomato Coconut Curry Soup with vegan quesadillas (whole grain tortillas and Daiya vegan cheese) and fresh fruit.
- 2 cans vegan condensed tomato soup
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 can fire roasted, crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 c. of very thinly sliced onion and carrots---whatever looks good to you. I have also included thinly sliced cabbage in the past.
- 1 1/2-2 tsp. curry powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pour all of the canned goods into a large soup pot.
- Add the veggies and turn to medium heat. Cook stirring regularly, turn down the heat to medium if it looks like it wants to boil. When the carrot and onion seem tender, about 10 minutes depending upon how thinly you sliced.
- Add the curry powder and salt and pepper to taste. Stir for a few more minutes, letting the flavors meld. Serve warm!
Cordelia really got into it, although I had to remove the chunks of stuff as they creeped her out, kids!