Saturday, January 21, 2012

Waiting for the Quirks

When I was pregnant with Cordelia Eric and I were a little bit panicked about what stuff we needed to acquire in order to ensure the safest, healthiest, happiest, most well adjusted baby EVER. OK, we really weren't all that bad, but it was always on our minds. We talked about how we would parent and raised all sorts of hypotheticals.

I remember so many experienced parents telling us that all we needed was a handful of outfits, blankets, and the bare essentials for cleaning and grooming a little being that pukes and poops more than one might imagine. Of course we knew this was all true, but when you are waiting to be a parent it is sometimes such a comfort to hold those little things as a reminder of the life that will soon arrive.

The second time around is a bit different. We have tubs of left over clothes in case we have a girl, some will work for either gender. So, we've held on to it. The baby toys are all in a box in the closet, waiting to be held in chubby little hands or waved in front of uncoordinated eyes.

sweater

We really haven't had it in us to hunt for new things for this baby because we don't really want for much at this point. However, once I passed into the second trimester and I could breathe a sigh of relief I began to feel like I wanted something just for this little one. So, on a recent thrift store venture I spotted this soft white sweater. I couldn't help myself. I tossed it into my cart and took it home. The sweater should fit perfectly this fall.

I hung it up and now I take a moment each day to look at it, to connect the external to the internal and to give this baby a moment of undivided attention. A pregnancy with a toddler around allows for much less pondering on my part, so I sometimes feel as though I need to make a concentrated effort to just direct my thoughts to this little being who is already so very precious to us.

One thing that remains the same is the constant question of "Who are you in there?" I don't know who I am growing, what they will be like and how they will impact our lives. With Cordelia I could never have imagined the things that she does, those little things that make her so unique and quirky. I look forward to discovering those kinds of quirks in our second child as well.

7 comments:

Kirsten Taggart said...

I really enjoy your writing. I visit your blog everyday to read your posts. Over the past two years I feel connected to you and your family. Is that weird? Although I have never met you... maybe one day :)

Maria Rose said...

Thank you Kristen, that means a lot to me.

I kind of feel like I know you too. I love blogging for the friendships it has given me.

Roxanne said...

Could hardly wait til baby #2 makes it's entrance, missed Cordelia's but will be "growing" with this one!

Kate said...

I loved meeting my children from the inside out. Gives one perspective, I think, on relationships already formed. I owe my children so much; when I was pregnant with my son, I realized I didn't like who I was, so while I was acquainting myself with him, I was working to become the woman I wanted to be. And it all happened from the inside out. I'm so excited you're sharing your pregnancies with us. ... Maybe it's twins! {Kidding. Mostly.}

Maria Rose said...

Kate, twins do run in the family, but we had an ultrasound at our 1st appointment and we are sure there is only one.

Susan said...

Genetically it is a sure thing it will be quirky indeed! I can't wait either!

Rachel said...

There's nothing like that precious life growing inside of you! Hope all those special moments from now till you meet him or her where you think upon them are just extra special for you! And can't wait to hear about Cordelia's moments with your growing belly!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...